New Here, Quick Question

byrdawg

hey all. im new here. im in the process of purchasing my 3rd doge ram, but my first diesel. it will be a quad cab long bed 4x4. im planning on getting into the sled pulling scene...nothing to crazy. just getting my feet wet. im thinking about a lift and 36s but i will put stock tires back on for pulling. im gonna make my own rear lift. it will be stock rear leafs sitting on airbags. the only real question i have is should i go auto or manual. im indifferent and dont have a preferance, but i will be running a middle of the line power adder. i dont have the money right now to drop into rebuilding my stock auto, a valve body may be all i can afford. i know if i get a manual the clutch will act as a driveline fuse and slip before i can do any real damage to the tranny....BUT.....if i burn up an auto its under warranty, a clutch isnt. i know for a heavier duty clutch im lookin at 6-800 bucks. im really confused as to if i should have a preferance or not.

Welcome aboard byrdawg!
The Dodge folks will be here to answer your questions soon

thanks. also...i will be running dual 5" "K" or bull hauler stacks and an intake and i will have gauges.

Either way you go (auto or manual) you'll want to set aside some upgrade money...

I was able to blow through my stock clutch (new 2006) in quite easily with just a hot juice. If your planning on sled pulling much at all I recommend going straight to a good dual disk from South Bend Clutch. It will run you just over $2k, but will be worth it in the long run.

If your gonna run an auto, bolt ons (such as a valve body) may prolong it's life a little, but you really need more clutch material and the right convertor for it to stay together. You'll also need to address input/output shafts when you head past about 500 hp.

Another place many guys forget about is traction bars... a couple good hops and your driveline will be headed for the dirt!

Good Luck
PULL IT!!!

thanks. i think im gonna opt for the manual. a clutch is cheaper then an auto. well see how things finalize. with a light power adder, is the auto gonna wear out fast. yeah traction bars were already thought of since ill be running larger tires. idont like axle wrap....too much potential energy built up to snap something

If your not going to be a hard core puller buy a auto. I was thinking like you when I bought my truck I and just paid alot of money to swap a auto in that I should have bought to start with.

TJ

thanks yall. i reckon it all comes down to what tranny the truck i want has. my prerequisites are quad cab long bed inferno red 4x4, manual 4x4.

Back