New injectors yesterday, no start today

01smoker

Diesel Enthusiast
I just installed some new injectors in a friends truck yesterday, truck ran fine after we got the lines bled out. Took it for a joy ride, when we got back fuel was coming out of the top of the tank and out of the fuel cap. I was thinking the vent out of the top of the tank may be clogged. But this morning I went to start the truck and now it wont start. The injector holddowns are tight and I couldn't find any fuel leaks on any of the fuel lines, they are tight. Any ideas?

I just installed some new injectors in a friends truck yesterday, truck ran fine after we got the lines bled out. Took it for a joy ride, when we got back fuel was coming out of the top of the tank and out of the fuel cap. I was thinking the vent out of the top of the tank may be clogged. But this morning I went to start the truck and now it wont start. The injector holddowns are tight and I couldn't find any fuel leaks on any of the fuel lines, they are tight. Any ideas?

How full was the fuel tank when fuel was coming out the top?

How full was the fuel tank when fuel was coming out the top?

I so want to make a smart ass comment here..... LOL

If it ran before you swapped injectors....I doubt the tank vent would have plugged while you were doing the swap. Did you pop the injectors in, then pop the connector tubes in place before you tightened down the injectors so they are seated properly?

I so want to make a smart ass comment here..... LOL

If it ran before you swapped injectors....I doubt the tank vent would have plugged while you were doing the swap. Did you pop the injectors in, then pop the connector tubes in place before you tightened down the injectors so they are seated properly?

Yeah and again too late to edit, but if the tank wasn't plum full it wouldn't push fuel out even if the vent was plugged. I would bet money on a injector or a connector tube not being seated. I just thought I would ask a simple question first ya bully. LOL

I couldn't help it. Something about "how full when it came out the TOP" that killed me. LOL

Anyway, I've seen that too. I'm no expert by any means, but I have seen folks pop the injectors in and tighten them down and then put the tube in. I always did mine the other way. There is still some wiggle in the hold downs.

Go back through them all. It won't take you long. I bet you find it.

Figured it out, I was wrong. I guess I got in a hurry and forgot to tighten down one of the hold downs. Oops

Figured it out, I was wrong. I guess I got in a hurry and forgot to tighten down one of the hold downs. Oops

So do you understand what it was doing? There are two seals. One copper the other is the o-ring on the crossover tube. If the copper is not sealed compression gases bypass it. The rubber o-ring keeps it from escaping to atmosphere. The only place it has to go is the return line to the fuel tank where it can finally reach atmosphere and the produce the subsequent mess.

I usually do a decent run with some boost and immediately check the fuel tank for pressurization. $.02

I always tighten the crossovers first then tight the injector caps to 89 inch/pounds. Then allows the crossover tube to find its own home within the injector and seal properly. If you tighten the injector caps first then you've pinned the injector down and the crossover tube can't find a good seat.

I always tighten the crossovers first then tight the injector caps to 89 inch/pounds. Then allows the crossover tube to find its own home within the injector and seal properly. If you tighten the injector caps first then you've pinned the injector down and the crossover tube can't find a good seat.

In your scenario the high pressure fuel doesn't make it to the injector and is sent back to the tank. That usually just creates a rough running engine. Just pointing out the different trouble scenarios.

Back