New member with 93 1 ton and question on 5x18s

38-55wcf

Hi my names Ben and here is my three year restortion project. Was my dads old mason dump baught new in April of /93.
IMG_9932_zps7dedabe4.jpg

Three years ago i began tearing it down to the frame to change it from this
IMG_6022_zps1ac0eaec.jpg
[/IMG]
to this
IMG_4224.jpg

Now i have 5x18s in it and wondered what most of you run for turbos. I ceratnily have a hx40 but planning on hx35-s4?? twins

I have the same injectors, I run a 14cm hx35 over a 23cm ht3b inducer sizes are 57/76mm I really like this set up because it spools supper quick and I've still got plenty of air (for the ve that is, not much smoke because of the super fast spool up and cleans it all up when their lit and at full song

The higher end of things like pulling a good size trailer on a high grade they spool real nice.

I think he meant the 60mm as the secondary (high-pressure) and hx-55 as the primary (low-pressure).

Ok yeah my bad i thought it said hx35 as a secondary and 60mm 16cm for primary. Who runs big singles on ve pumped 1st gens

I'm running a super40 comp wheel hx35, and a Hx55. Not to knock anyone but my 6x16s have maxed them out. 1600 on the pyro is doable!!! And by the end of 3rd gear, shifting into o/d. I like my setup and think they'd be great for something in the 5x14 and down crowd. But I've been advised ( by someone of higher knowledge) and feel personally that a larger ht3b or s400 sized primary would be better. I'm going to try a few more thing with my setup, then they are on the market!

yeah turbos ok but would like more low end where the VE fuels. now the hx40 got a 18cm t3 housing n it's a lol slower then the h1c on there before. There's also a BD manifold so maybe that helps it a little bit. thinkin either a 71mm s300 or twins

Go smaller; you'd be lighting a 71mm at the top of your powerband.

What are your goals for the truck?

I'm running a super40 comp wheel hx35, and a Hx55. Not to knock anyone but my 6x16s have maxed them out. 1600 on the pyro is doable!!! And by the end of 3rd gear, shifting into o/d. I like my setup and think they'd be great for something in the 5x14 and down crowd. But I've been advised ( by someone of higher knowledge) and feel personally that a larger ht3b or s400 sized primary would be better. I'm going to try a few more thing with my setup, then they are on the market!

Good to know. I've got an HTT Super 40/35 hybrid with a 14cm wastegated housing myself and, of course, entertained the thought of twins at some point. It's a great turbo as single. It runs pretty clean even with the custom VE and 5x.013s!

And yes, Jason's is a whopping 62/65. So then my hybrid could be considered big :lolly:.

would like more low end where the VE fuels.

The hx-40 you have should be just fine for that. You could even consider downsizing the turbine housing to a 16cm that the 40's usually come with, to decrease spool time a little and move your powerband down a bit.

Last edited:
I want to sled pull and tow with it. In the summer i tow up to 24,000 or so just below cdl limit. I have an hx35/40 i want to use in a compound setup but havent come up with a big turbo yet or money for orings and studs. Fabrication isnt an issue just the supporting mods. As of now with the hx40 and 5x18s im hitting 800-900 egts cruiseing at 65mph or so empty. Though my truck does weigh just under 9,000 lbs empty.

As a single on a ve powered truck???

Hell no!:hehe: Its a t6, and would be better suited as a primary. I also have a non gated s366 with a 1.10ar t4 housing. I debated that as a laggy single.

You never know, I may buy a 14mm head, because I got this super neato lift pump coming my way. And you know how the parts game goes. Upgrade a key component, annyou open a whole other door of possibilities.The s366 may be doable with that much fuel, as a single.

Last edited:
Hell no!:hehe: Its a t6, and would be better suited as a primary. I also have a non gated s366 with a 1.10ar t4 housing. I debated that as a laggy single.

You never know, I may buy a 14mm head, because I got this super neato lift pump coming my way. And you know how the parts game goes. Upgrade a key component, annyou open a whole other door of possibilities.The s366 may be doable with that much fuel, as a single.

If the 66 is a 66/74/1.1 t4 then you will hate it on a ve truck. Unless you like about 300 rpm of useable power. It would actually work ok as a primary for a set of towing twins on a ve truck.

Back