New mods to the big green school bus

MADDOG

I finally pulled the Sterling 10.25 out and replaced it with a 11.5 AAM from a 2006 Dodge. I also changed out the 1356 transfer case with a 273D that I changed out the input shaft with a 31 spline so it would bolt up to the 4R100.
By doing both of these things it allowed me to have a custom 5" aluminum single piece drive shaft built with 1480 joints and flanges which eliminated the two piece steel drive shaft and carrier bearing.

The brakes work awesome and it drives so smooth with the new aluminum drive shaft.

Attachments

• photo (50).JPG
    photo (50).JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo (48).JPG
    photo (48).JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo (49).JPG
    photo (49).JPG
    108 KB · Views: 0
  • photo (51).JPG
    photo (51).JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo (52).jpg
    photo (52).jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0
I finally pulled the Sterling 10.25 out and replaced it with a 11.5 AAM from a 2006 Dodge. I also changed out the 1356 transfer case with a 273D that I changed out the input shaft with a 31 spline so it would bolt up to the 4R100.
By doing both of these things it allowed me to have a custom 5" aluminum single piece drive shaft built with 1480 joints and flanges which eliminated the two piece steel drive shaft and carrier bearing.

The brakes work awesome and it drives so smooth with the new aluminum drive shaft.
D@MN Its scary to know how much folks think alike
As we speak My 95 is getting a 11.5 AAM (2003)With 4 link Rear Air suspension Also picked up a AFE diff cover
I already have NP271 going behind my 47RH
And Then Comes the Motor building

How long is your driveshaft I was told 80" was max But yours is 5" in diameter

Looks Great Keep up the great work

Looks like it's been painted since the last time I saw it. Could just be the picture though.

Are you going to be at any events this spring/summer? It'd be awesome to see that thing on the track again. It was already cool to see it out and about.

The swap actually was fairly easy. I removed the spring perches and shock mounts and set them up with the right spacing and pinion angle for the Ford leaf springs and shocks. The Ford ABS sensor bolted right in place of the Dodge one. Was able to use some new Dodge E-brake cables, and built a custom mount.
7303 lb ft. is what the 5.0x125 HD 6061T6 heat treated tube is rated at and I think it will handle just fine the 850 horsepower the truck is making. The length came in just under 80" (you can actually go 86 inches with a five inch aluminum shaft)

BigRwoofer you are an idiot!!!

The truck was totally repainted with a new steel cowl induction hood.

looking good, Richard. I would love to see this truck in person...... Y'all are living legends.

The swap actually was fairly easy. I removed the spring perches and shock mounts and set them up with the right spacing and pinion angle for the Ford leaf springs and shocks. The Ford ABS sensor bolted right in place of the Dodge one. Was able to use some new Dodge E-brake cables, and built a custom mount.
7303 lb ft. is what the 5.0x125 HD 6061T6 heat treated tube is rated at and I think it will handle just fine the 850 horsepower the truck is making. The length came in just under 80" (you can actually go 86 inches with a five inch aluminum shaft)

BigRwoofer you are an idiot!!!

The truck was totally repainted with a new steel cowl induction hood.

Thanks.

My money would still be on Fletcher owning DAT asss on the strip.:poke:

Richard- the big green bus looks good.:pop:

My money would still be on Fletcher owning DAT asss on the strip.:poke:

Richard- the big green bus looks good.:pop:

I would have to agree with you especially since it's down in power almost 500 horsepower from it's racing days.

Glad to see the truck is still going strong since it's on of the trucks that got me into diesels, (2001 era) did you weld the tubes at all?

The tubes twisting in the pumpkin are not as common as the sterling rear end, but I did when I had to replace my AAM axle due to a crushed 4" axle tube under the spring perch from pulling with no traction bars.

Didn't know what you had planned with the truck.

Back