new paint not matching old. help

dodgemaniac

Well i have been working on painting my taillights and roll-pan and am in a dilemma.The paint i bought at the auto store that was mixed up for my paint code is coming out more grey then silver and its bugging me.

here is a picture of the taillight painted and cleared on the truck.
IMAG0109.jpg

Any advise as what to do? should i just go with it for now or try an fix it somehow.

was that paint mixed using the paint code off the truck?

edit-nevermind, missed where you said that

Last edited:
You need them to mix it off a sample off the truck. The truck is faded, so the colors will not match.

what do you think i should do to try and get it to match. should i go back to the store i got the paint from? i would try mixing it myself but all the other paint i have is house of kolor and this is another brand.

update

i tried mixing some of my hok paint with the paint i got to match the truck. i used some silver , a little, gold and white all metallic.

this is what i came up with. it looks worse with the flash then it really is but its hard to tell at night. this isn't cleared either.
IMAG0110.jpg

i think i might be able to live with this one. If i repaint the roll pan any suggestions for mixing? maybe a hint of blue?

Not too bad for a home brew. Looks like it's just a tad light, almost looks like it could use a drop of dark red. It may be the light but the rest of the truck has a slight red cast to it. Still better than a few "painters" I've had working for me.LOL

the truck color seems like a hard on to match to because depending on the angle it can have a blue/red/silver/dark grey/ gold tint to it:bang:bang:bang

the truck color seems like a hard on to match to because depending on the angle it can have a blue/red/silver/dark grey/ gold tint to it:bang:bang:bang

I know the color well and cuss every time we have to paint one. Almost has a tri-coat effect in a 2 stage color. I think Chrysler used it on everything from Neons on up. Still not bad for what you had to work with, you want a job as a painter by any chance?:lolly:

looks like pfk? or possibly ps2? theres at least 4 codes for pfk, so wherever you took it they probably just picked one, but your last pic looks like a pretty close match

the problem you have ,stated a few treads ago you have two different paint systems your are using .. one formula may have different effects in the metallic and flop than the other ,, and not spraying at the same air pressure will vary the color to ... did you do a drop coat to make the metallic lay down . did the auto store mix you the paint ?.. could have over poured the toners when they mixed it or picked the wrong variance ..i think there should be three or four diff colors to pick from .. does the paint store have color chips ??? i know PPG global mactchs really good and so does standox ... also the clear will darken it to if its a high solids .. i know house of color has a few diff lines of clear ..... just a few things to check out ....

the paint code was QFA

the problem you have ,stated a few treads ago you have two different paint systems your are using .. one formula may have different effects in the metallic and flop than the other ,, and not spraying at the same air pressure will vary the color to ... did you do a drop coat to make the metallic lay down . did the auto store mix you the paint ?.. could have over poured the toners when they mixed it or picked the wrong variance ..i think there should be three or four diff colors to pick from .. does the paint store have color chips ??? i know PPG global mactchs really good and so does standox ... also the clear will darken it to if its a high solids .. i know house of color has a few diff lines of clear ..... just a few things to check out ....

The only reason i was using to different paint systems is the HOk is the only other paint i had( for airbrush use) to try and salvage this. the first color was done with what they mixed up for me. to me it looked to dark and grey even if the paint had faded.
The original paint was mixed at the auto parts store and is some brand that i don't recognize. The clear i used was one that hok makes and is branded as kustom shop 2k urethane clear which lays down really well for me

Also to note this is my first try painting something bigger then just small airbrush projects.

i'm thinking that theres not enough paint on the lamp housing due to the use of the air brush , and also thinking the hole for the airbrush is not letting enoungh of the pearl and metallic thew and making the color darker .. body type spary guns are 1.3mm-1.4mm fluid tips for base and clear or sometimes alittle bigger on base like 1.6-1.8mm tips..

i'm thinking that theres not enough paint on the lamp housing due to the use of the air brush , and also thinking the hole for the airbrush is not letting enoungh of the pearl and metallic thew and making the color darker .. body type spary guns are 1.3mm-1.4mm fluid tips for base and clear or sometimes alittle bigger on base like 1.6-1.8mm tips..

that could be my problem. i used a mini spray gun with a 1.0mm tip to spray the color with because i only have a few cheep guns and the normal 1.4mm one i only use for clear.

here is my end result after all of this.

a405d335-orig.jpg

7f9be894-orig.jpg

Last edited:
i know i alot of painters use two to three guns for base and clear .. not sure if you want to but you can use the 1.4 on base ,and i dont understand if you not wanting to use the clear gun on base,, it does were out the fluid tip faster ... the gun i like to use is the sata jet 90 , kinda old gun but layed the clear out nice .. i want one of those new iwata spray guns with the 1.3mm tip

i know i alot of painters use two to three guns for base and clear .. not sure if you want to but you can use the 1.4 on base ,and i dont understand if you not wanting to use the clear gun on base,, it does were out the fluid tip faster ... the gun i like to use is the sata jet 90 , kinda old gun but layed the clear out nice .. i want one of those new iwata spray guns with the 1.3mm tip

I just use the one for clear only as i have had no problems with it and dont want to chance that by running different stuff through it because its one of the cheapo guns. I have another one but it does not spray well so i used the mini. I would like to get a nice iwata or sata when the funds allow it.

here is my end result after all of this.

a405d335-orig.jpg

7f9be894-orig.jpg

That looks MUCH better! I too had the same problem when I had my whole truck (97) repainted a few years ago. Had paint mixed off the paint code in the jam. My buddy who painted the truck for me did a good job, but he didn't jam it or paint under the hood and you can see the difference in colors.

this looks really good in person dodgemanic does not give himself enough credit i cant wait till he does mine:rockwoot:

Back