New to 6.0, questions & advice please

Thekid760

Hey everyone,

I'm not new to diesels but am to 6.0's. I just bought the wife an excursion and it has some upgrades, looking for advice on what to do next.

2003 6.0 PSD, 113,000 miles
4x4 Eddie Bauer
- Banks Big Hoss bundle (6-gun, intake, intake horn, intercoer, exhaust)
- bulletproof diesel ficm, water pump
- new head gasket but oem head bolts
- unknown on status of egr cooler, if its stock, upgraded or deleted.

I'm thinking I need to confirm if egr cooler has been upgraded or deleted & then do one of them.

1) How do I find out if its stock, upgraded or deleted?
2) What other upgrades are needed to ensure good longevity?
I'm thinking head studs also need to be done & adding coolant filter.
3) I'll post in alternative fuels section but is anything needed to be changed or modified to run B100? Biodiesel, not WVO.

Thanks,

Mark

00F0F_fsrWpRKTZS3_600x450_zps31d26a3e.jpg

photo2_zps748bc331.jpg

photo1_zpsd201f846.jpg

I can see a egr cooler in the second pic so unless its been welded shut it still has the stock cooler. What did you pay for it if you dont mind? I have a black one just like it but with head studs and a welded shut EGR im trying to sell and am trying to decide on a fair price. You can PM me if you want.

Feel free to call us here @ Bullet Proof Diesel if you have questions not answered here: 480-247-2331 or 888-967-6653.

Ditch the banks 6 gun and get a custom sct. Good luck with the rest

What is wrong with the banks tuner? Its my wife's vehicle so not looking for maximum hp, no racing, and only occasional (once or twice a year) towing of a car trailer. I have my Ram for towing duties.

What is wrong with the banks tuner? Its my wife's vehicle so not looking for maximum hp, no racing, and only occasional (once or twice a year) towing of a car trailer. I have my Ram for towing duties.

The Banks doesn't allow for custom tuning, especially when it comes to your transmission. For your sanity and the longevity of the vehicle, get an SCT.

There are a lot of options; SCT Livewire, SCT SF3, SCT X3, or the SCT X4. ALL are good options, and are best paired with an EDGE CTS data monitor (personal preference). Lots of used (read; likely VIN locked) are out there for good deals. LOTS of great tuners that can aid in reliability/daily driving tunes.

Stock is good as well. ;)

What pinky said^ id also be checking EOT/ECT deltas to see what condition the oil cooler is in. I prefer the X3/X4 and CTS combo over almost anything on the market. In addition to doing the EGR cooler upgrade/delete unless the oil cooler is in great shape I'd replace the oil cooler aswell. I'd also add a coolant filtration kit and swap over to CAT ELC. Also make sure to always use Motorcraft oil and fuel filters. If you have to buy caps I'd prolly go with BPD or another quality mfgs setup.

Ryan

Last edited:
How do I check EOT/ECT deltas?

No wonder 6.0's have a bad rap, too many parts are needed to get it to where it should've been from the factory!

To clarify on needed/best idea parts to install/upgrade:

- EGR Cooler
- Oil Cooler
- Head studs
- Coolant Filter

Thats over $1600 in parts! Maybe I'll just run it till something gives then swap a 12v cummins in. That'll be cheaper in the long run.

How do I check EOT/ECT deltas?

No wonder 6.0's have a bad rap, too many parts are needed to get it to where it should've been from the factory!

To clarify on needed/best idea parts to install/upgrade:

- EGR Cooler

- Oil Cooler

- Head studs

- Coolant Filter

Thats over $1600 in parts! Maybe I'll just run it till something gives then swap a 12v cummins in. That'll be cheaper in the long run.

Scanner will tell you deltas. Instead of studding why don't you do egr/oil coolers and coolant filter then if you blow a gasket do studs

Ryan

Beside emissions testing anything mechanically wrong with doing an EGR/oil cooler delete? Then no coolant filter needed right?

Or

I'm thinking about pulling the egr cooler then welding it shut on both sides, then possibly replacing oil cooler & adding coolant filter. This seems like best option to me as it'll look stock yet avoid issues and be more financially feasible.

Can't exactly delete the oil cooler. I reccomend a coolant filter even with BPDs oil cooler setup though because it lessens the chance of waterpump failure due to left over casting sediment.

Ryan

Do an egr delete, coolant filter, OEM oil cooler,edge cts, SCT tuner with gearhead custom tuning. instead of getting both the CTS and SCT x3 or, could get the SCT 5015 touchscreen, or the SCT X4 and just use that to monitor parameters . An egr delete from RCD is $200, ford OEM from sunrise ford for $315, coolant filter $100, SCT X4 $400, custom tunes $100. Also if not done already run Rotella 5w-40 with Archoil friction modifier or Rev-X.

Thanks for the replies.

It seems I have a cel. I checked my banks tuner and it has been on level 1 (stock) since I bought it. I don't drive it that hard, only go wot getting on freeway, haven't towed yet. The idle does seem a tad rough and mpg has been 12-13.

Codes:

p0278 - #6 injector
p132b

Can anyone point me in the right direction for troubleshooting?

My alternator also died so I bought an AC-Delco 335-1212 140amp Large Case 6g unit from amazon for $135, charges steady at 14.1v now.

234C49EA-EE18-434B-90E7-2AAF2DAF38C8-7075-000006C29B3E7489_zpsafa98a98.jpg

I also added a coolant filter, bought the base and filters from filter pros, then made my own bracket.

7D5CF73C-8243-4BEC-AF6D-04AA79E94770-7075-000006BF76C4984D_zpsdfae1652.jpg

F98EC120-E60A-4064-A913-8E8029B4E4C9-7075-000006BF71D79627_zpsc7d2389d.jpg

I used a Donaldson base Part# P550840 and filter # DBC4085.

I will be changing oil next weekend with Delo 400 LE 15w40 with motorcraft (racor) filters and 2 bottles of Rev-X.

Soon after I plan on welding egr cooler shut on both sides, new oil cooler, and while turbo is off cleaning the vanes.

Misspelling courtesy of my fat fingers...

Change that coolant filter often at first. They clog up quicker than you would think! Good job on the bracket. Looks a lot sturdier than mine

Thanks, was scrap steel I had, iirc only 12-14g we'll see how durable it is. Next version ill use 3/8" and put it on the brake.

Thanks for the advise, ill buy a few more, but ill find the wix equivalent.

I hear change when filter isn't warm anymore?

you probably need a #6 injector, and sounds like your turbo vanes are sticking or the VGT actuator is malfuctioning
while you're into it for the egr delete and oil cooler I would make sure you update the HPOP's STC fitting, help avoid hard starts in the future
If you do one injector chances are the rest aren't far behind, you can nickel and dime the repairs until they're all done, or do them all at once and be done for a long time

Where's best place to get injectors? Obviously cheaper the better but I want quality too.

Or can they be sent out for rebuild, or rebuilt at home?

Go through Ford! You don't want to skimp here.

I would and have done only the bad one of mine. So unless you're upgrading injectors I would only replace the bad one.

Back