New to me 6.0 issue

and.errything

Let me start by saying I own 2 superduty vehicles with 6.0s. First I bought was a 2005 excursion which I really like, so I decided to buy a f250.

My issue is with the 2003 f250 6.0 4x4 with a zf6. i purchased it being told it had 8 reman injectors, and a new h pop. The truck had a bad shake on idle, was told one injector was bad, but it was under warranty.This misfire was very bad, like the engine was just jerking around. The edge tuner in the truck would shoe 640-780 rpms on the tach, changing up and down rapidly. The crazy thing is you tap the throttle and it would smooth out.

I purchased the truck and took it to a friend who own a powerstroke shop. He checked injectors and said 4 were bad. So I exchanged 4 of them under warranty. When those 4 injectors were installed the issue still existed.O I thought the issue was the standard motor products injectors that were installed. The only issue showing on scanner was a balance rate fluctuation.

The ficm was checked and was a 58 volt unit. After a recheck it was dropping voltage while running. So the ficm was sent to swamps diesel and received a makeover. Injectors were sent to jesse warren, they were remanufactured again and I paid for the electronics/solenoid upgrade.

Received everything and reinstalled injectors and ficm, still no fix. Also tried a confirmed injector harness with no change.

Truck is studded, has a airdog, edge evolution with custom php tunes, egr delete, intake and exhaust.

So to recap truck will feel like is is shaking itself apart. Motor violently jerks side to side, rpms on edge go up and down 640-780 as fast as you can read it and will settle down a lot of times if you tp the throttle.

the powerstroke shop that has my truck has scanned it with no codes. Said icp and ipr look good on screen.

What am i missing here. any ideas? I need this truck fixed asap.

Sounds like a bad dual mass flywheel. If that is the issue, it will eventually take out the low pressure oil pump and balancer on the front of the engine and could eventually break the crank.

Acts like it is randomly missing, shakes/rattles the truck, contribution test will usually be all over the place.

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there a way to check that other than the obvious removal of transmission?

Supersonic, transmission was pulled today and the center section on flywheel could be moved 3 inches by hand.

I am so thankful you helped out. The flywheel was not making noise so it had never crossed my mind.

Once again, thanks you Sir.

Glad that you found the issue.
Replace it with a Valair or south bend solid flywheel and upgraded clutch kit while you are at it.

Just went through this with a 03 at work. I didn't Realize Ford went back to a Dual Mass Flywheel with the 6.0l.. seems like a step backwards..

Back