New to me big rig

autoferret

Ok guy! I'm in the middle of upgrading from a class 7 truck to a class 8.

I'm looking at buying a 89 Freightliner cab over non-sleeper, that has been stretched a ton!

I'm waiting to get the VIN's on the 2 trucks he has left from his build of 7 to get a build sheet from Freightliner on them to see that there original build was. The sales guy thinks that they have cummins 315's in them.

I'm being told that they have 527K and 463K. They have passed inspection reports for the frame extensions that were completed by Bert's tuck from Moorhead, MN(double framed from behind cab and back, with new drive lines). Engines run out excellent for one and second unit was a little rougher according to a mechanic that did do an evaluation on them, possibly due to excess idle time which we do a several times per year to keep them operational. He also said that the one unit did have repairs done to the "shifter tower", some welding.

One the engine run out what do they mean?

8449728535_c8a56c94b5_c.jpg

8449730249_4030402cb2_c.jpg

8450816078_736b24ce23_c.jpg

8449730431_3c13157cab_c.jpg

8449730803_5b0bdbc4f8_c.jpg

Is there anything that I need to look at as big wear and tear items?
Anything that I need to really inspect prior to buying?

Also anyone know of anyone selling a cab over stretched to hold a 30' box?

Bad ass. I like the day cab cabovers.

The BC4 315's were a good engine. By run out, I would assume they mean they ran them up to operating temps. Look for coolant leaks under the heads, and any smoke at idle.

Last edited:
Make the rear axles sliders and get a telescoping driveline so that you can narrow the turning radius down by 75 feet when you need to do a u-turn. :D

Pretty cool lookin' rigs.

"runs out" is a stupid car salesman phrase right up there with "hard loaded"

If a vehicle runs out good or engine runs out good, that just means it runs well...

Like "hard loaded" means fully loaded.

Like I said, just salesmanspeak

Make the rear axles sliders and get a telescoping driveline so that you can narrow the turning radius down by 75 feet when you need to do a u-turn. :D

Pretty cool lookin' rigs.

that would be a great idea but i'll be putting on a box and jockey's so i can load it up w/ a ton of 4/0 and try to reach the 50K capacity.

And thanks on the salesman jumbo! i figured it was some made up crap.

Anyone have a idea what one might be worth?

Nice. Very nice. Pretty clean too still. Good score. And worth? I'd say way less than 10k more like 5. Were they body jobs? Or tractors? Either way it's got neither going for it. I got my '98 cabover for 5k. Already set up as a LWB tractor.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Nice. Very nice. Pretty clean too still. Good score. And worth? I'd say way less than 10k more like 5. Were they body jobs? Or tractors? Either way it's got neither going for it. I got my '98 cabover for 5k. Already set up as a LWB tractor.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

these were tractors that were stretched for a turkey farmer. only took 4 of the 7 ordered.

Back