New to twins, need help with setup on an odd engine.

ShaferDiesel

Way To Small!
I have a Toyota with a Detroit Diesel 3-53T that I have been pulling. I'm running a single T04E with a .68 AR hot side. It is matched perfectly to the engine as it produces just enough boost (around 50 lbs) to burn all the fuel I can throw at it so far. The problem is I'm going to upgrade the fuel side of things, I've already gone from the factory 65cc to 150cc injectors, and have found some 250 cc injectors that I will have by next season and I'm sure this turbo won't live through it. At this point I'm around 350HP, and I hope to break the 500hp mark with more fuel and air.

I have several turbo's sitting around, One is a HE351, Would that work well as the secondary with my T04E as my primary with an external wastegate? And how do you regulate the wastegate on the primary? I'm guessing you don't want it to ever completely bypass the primary because that would cause an extreme air restriction on the primary cold side. (assuming the secondary compressor feeds the primary compressor in series) Am I on the right track? Anyone got a good starting point for me?

No, that's been estimated by my 8th mile times, and it also tows a 16000 lb trailer like a 350 hp cummins does. I've been to rescue a 2004 dodge and towed his load the rest of the way and the owner of the dodge was very impressed with my faster speed up the grade he broke down on. SO I think my estimates are pretty close if not even a little conservative.

I would say that if that t04e works and spools great with that setup. Use it as a secondary and go to a larger primary... An hx50 sized turbo with a t4 exhaust housing should work rather well i would think...
But i also don't know the sizes of your t04...

Primary compressor feeds secondary compressor. Secondary exhaust feeds primary exhaust.

Garrett

probably getting paid at work to post this from my bionic

I agree keep your current turbo as it seems to work well, and add a primary. HX50/52 or an S467 or...

I'm skeptical of this. I done a lot of research on getting power from these and it was a big deal to get two or three hundred from a 4-53.

Last edited:
I'm skeptical of this. I done a lot of research on getting power from these and it was a big deal to get two or three hundred from a 4-53.

I know,...
as soon as I find a dyno, I'll prove em all wrong! It's not torque-y like a cummins off the line, not enough cubes, but once it's spooled, she's a haul-assin hoss! I'm also running 4600 rpm, where most ppl are scared ****less at the factory 2800:) (or just plain don't know how to make the govorner pull it up that high, and no, it's not done with shims or different springs...)

Thanks SSpeeDEMONSS, that's helpfull, now how should the secondary be wastgated -based on the difference between the primary to secondary boost pressures with a differental wastgate actuator??? I know it's probably a stupid question, but I need to be educated, Thanks!

Gate the turbo you have (probly externally), and put an hx52, hx55, small ht3b, or s471sx, or similar size turbo as atmosphere.

I can only imagine the horrenduous sounds that engine must make at 50psi and over 4000rpm! Video?

bring it Beans in Woodbury on the 17th....

OK I will!

It's been a couple of days, but I worked from 8pm to 7 am a couple nights ago and hung the 2005 dodge turbo on it, and Holy ****!!!! First impression, I need new gauges, 50 lb gauges just freaking peg out. It burns ALL the fuel now, not even a haze. It HAULS ASS (even more!), seat of the pants is another 2/3rds power, and it just glides down the road effortlessly.

I'm wondering what my exhaust backpressure is, it may be way too high, I'll have to find out.

I need more fuel, time to save up for 250mm injectors.

I gotta re-seal the blower and find and stop a new oil leak this week, catch up on some sleep, fix a twisted driveshaft, post some pictures here, and then come see you guys at beens this weekend, plus work a 60hr week...

Oh yeah, I think I may be lifting the head, because I have been quickly and misteriously low on water twice, with no visible leaks, but that can wait till later...

So which turbo did you add? An he351 feeding the t04?

Garrett

probably getting paid at work to post this from my bionic

Back