New turbo still no power

gulfcoastkustom

Hoping for some helpful input please gang. I just replaced my stock HX35 for an industrial injection phatshaft series 66/74/14 turbo. I have 30psi fuel pressure at my pump, 4kgsk, tork tek ofv, rack plug, no fuel plate, afc slid all the way forward, star wheel all the way out, 7x.010 injectors, 110# valve springs, head studs, and 18 deg timing. Pretty much all the basic mods. The truck won't get out of its own way now, the stock charger out performed this thing big time so far. Turbo screams like it's going 100mph when I'm only doing 50. Wastergate is set at 45psi. Any advice?

BTW I'm not a 18yr old punk wearing a flat billed hat blaring Florida Georgia line in the truck mommy and daddy bought me just trying to make smoke either so HELPFUL advice would be appreciated. Truck I'm question is the one in my signature also. Thank you in advance

How much boost does it make? Have you checked for boost leaks? Is it smokey under load? That turbo is not going to light anywhere near as fast as the HX35, I'm sure you know that but I just wanted to point it out.

With those mods I would imagine you can make it to 45psi no problem. Have you tried plugging the waste gate to see if it changes anything?

How much boost does it make? Have you checked for boost leaks? Is it smokey under load? That turbo is not going to light anywhere near as fast as the HX35, I'm sure you know that but I just wanted to point it out.

I haven't checked boost level yet. My gauge is not in the truck right now. Just going by drive ability it's not making a lot. It's still smokey under a load

Did you check for boost leaks? And can you hear hissing?

Get your gauge hooked up, lock up the TC at a low speed and do a pull. Note when and how much pressure builds up. I would also assume you'd be in the boat of 45 to 55 psi with your fuel and a 24v head. And you're sure you've got fuel at 30psi at WOT?

Those turbos sound like they are making 50psi when they are actually at 5psi. That's why it was so hard for me to take mine off because I loved the sound.

You really need to get a boost gauge on there and pressure test your system for boost leaks.

I'll double check fuel pressure and check for leaks. Thanks for the input. Are these turbos any good in you guys opinion? The sucker makes a racket but hasnt impressed me yet so far.

They are good turbos just keep the boost below 50 psi.

x2 on the boost leaks. Easy part to eliminate and if you do in fact have one continuing to drive it will be hard on the turbo.

Back