Newbie Here, D-max Questions

cumminsram96

Hello all, I've got a few basic duramax questions to ask. Currently I have a twin turbo 12v dodge that I absolutely love, it was my first diesel and really opened my eyes to diesel performance.
She's starting to get a little old, and the rough ride it has is getting to me so I was looking at options for a newer truck. I haven't ruled out a 3rd gen dodge yet, but my buddy has an 02 d-max and it really impressed me with it's performance.
If I was to get a d-max is one engine series perferred over another? I know the LBZ has a different ecm and some other internal engine upgrades that seem to make it favorable, but is it worth the extra money over the other two? I would like to make it a pretty serious daily driver/weekend warrior and I know the d-max can play both roles very well thanks to efi live.
Any help would be appreciated.

The easiest to mod and make power with is the 01-04 LB7. Most of the LB7's that are running strong are 02 and 03 LB7's. They all need engine upgrades over 500rwhp. I'd stick with an older LB7....pull the motor and upgrade it....then do the trans and let it rip! If you want twins, the LLY seems to respond the best to the smaller sets that make ~700rwhp and use the stock charger.

Last edited:
With the LBZ, you also get the 6-sp trans which is stronger.

The LBZ is the stoutest of the Dmaxes.

Any of the three versions are good though.

Back