Newbie on the Block

autoenthusiast

I am planning to upgrade my not so old 2006 Dodge Ram and will be in need of your suggestion on where to start. :pop:

Welcome. You picked the right place. Start reading n searching theres alot to soak up

Welcome. With an 06, you could get away with a turner/intake/exhaust on a lower setting. Much more and you'll need some trans work to keep that 48re alive. I'd start there.

You'd be surprised what a 40hp generic tune will do for that truck though. The throttle remapping is huge as well as increasing timing and max boost.

It's all a slippery slope though. $500 today will sound expensive until you start getting used to $5000 trans builds with $1800 yearly maintenance on them ;-)

Welcome.

Start with an upgrade to the fuel delivery system.
Most folks I talk to don't like that suggestion because there's not a marked seat of the pants feel in it.

IMO

I am planning to upgrade my not so old 2006 Dodge Ram and will be in need of your suggestion on where to start. :pop:

If it was my 06:
EngineFluids & filters.
Transmission Valvebody/shift kit-improver. GM solenoid. Adjust bands. If you want to add power that’s the easy part. I’d start with just stuff that aids fuel economy. After you address the transmission! Efficient ISBs make incredible low end torque.
Steering Chances are it needs aligning and parts replacement.
Those parts should be aftermarket; often discussed here. Professional 4x4 shops will have the best parts & align it too.
AxlesAxles are stout. Could use front lock outs for 2MPG increase. ARB lockers for a very expensive upgrade in traction.
Transfer case Stout transfercase. Maintenance as needed.
FrameRustproof it. I’d spend an hour underneath the truck on a hoist with stadium lights. Before anything. On the forums I don’t read anything on 3rd gen frame fails. Locally it’s problematic. Even with decent bodies.
Wheels & TiresCant beat the factory forged wheels that were optioned on these. I’d recommend General Grabber ATXs for slippery winter driving. They do well on 2wd trucks.

What is your over all goal for the truck? Fun street truck, tow rig, weekend warrior?

Back