newbie with unique project

hello, im somewhat of a newbie when it comes to drag racing but myself and a buddy have taken on the challenge to bring an old ford idi into the drag community.

the truck we will be using as a starting point is a 86 f250, with a 7.3l turbo block as the foundation for the build.

we have already started tearing the truck down and getting it "race worthy" and the engine is going to be one of a kind...a little break down on it: cam, studded, lower CR, roller rockers, BW s366, 250cc DB4 injection pump, stage 2 injectors, custom manifolds, followed by a fully built ATS e4od

im fully aware that my money could be better spent in swapping in a better suited motor, one thats tried and true, but i like being unique and i like these old engines.

now here is where i need help and i figure you guys are the experts here, so here are my questions. realistically where do you think id be at with about 4000lbs and about 450hp? what gear ratio do you guys find works well to achieve 120mph +? tire size? would a ford 9" rear hold up?

any other input you guys have would be much appreciated! if anyone would like to see pics of the progress let me know! i have tons of them! :thankyou2:

yea i hear ya. the guy helping me built up a dedicated tow rig, a crew cab dually idi with 300/600 to the wheels on a 6.9l, with a bw s362 and 150cc of fuel. seems fuel is the only limiting factor with the appropriate supporting mods of course

I like the idea. Different is good. I had a 2wd 6.9 that i tuned up and on spray (-3 line in the air cleaner lid) it did a 15.1 et. 1 time only!!.....................Boom

nice, that 6.9 tow rig runs water meth too, and holds up to 38psi. couple thousand miles on it so far...we are using the same techniques as that build but with a bit bigger turbo, more fuel, and bit bigger displacement motor.

You guys all forgetting the Max Lagod's Hypermax 7.3/6.9L? 9sec 1/4...

At 4500lbs, it had 700+ RWHP.

They took a 7.3L block and sleeved it down to 6.9L's.

1200HPIDI.jpg

yes, inline pump, twins, i have bunch of motor pics of it too but everyone says its a fairy tale because no visual proof can back it up...

Where's dem deah pictures you promised. Awsome build. Make that thang squeal.

Pacific time? What ever that is? It's 7pm right now here. I got off 2hrs early so hang tight

And thanks for the support on the build!!

Good luck! Huge injectors and nitrous will help you make the most out of the cc's you do have....at least that was my experience with the VE. A 9 inch ford should be able to handle the power, but you should probably go with Pro Gears so it doesn't snap the pinion off. I would think you should be able to run 11s with it, at that power and weight. The p-pump 7.3L is Bill Jahns' truck. I think it's still sitting behind his house on flat tires.

Back