Newer engine into older gas truck...

LOGANSTANFORTH

WORKIN' MAN'S DOLLAR
I have been enlisted by a friend of mine to see what will be required to put a 99+ 7.3 into a older Crew cab F350 that has a 460 in it. He got the engine for 150 bucks and we plan to reseal it and fix any issues we may have with it. The transmission will be a non-issue as we plan to use an Allison from a 7.3 powered bus/truck and a divorced NP205 t-case with equal length driveshafts feeding the front 60 and rear 10.25...

What will we need from a donor truck to get this thing up and running?

Wiring harness and all the computers obviously BUT from what type of truck, I would think a crew cab 4wd manual trans/manual shift t-case truck would be the best candidate since we will be running a big Allison in it with a 205?

Does the engine need a speed sensor to operate correctly?

Anything else I am missing that isn't blaringly obvious?

We will probably rewire the whole truck and put alot of the stuff on relays and switches cause he is a racecar driver and we kind of want to keep that theme in the truck. I think we are just going to use all mechanical/electrical gauges and build a gauge panel in the stock dash and use a 4 gauge pillar pod. I want to build the truck so he can monitor just about every system in the truck when he is driving it. I want it to look almost like the interior of a semi-truck with a big center stack and center console with all the gauges and switches. I know we are going to have to end up building one since we are using the Allison in it and it's going to need something to house the shift tower and make it look decent...

Gauge assortment...

Voltmeter
Fuel level
Tachometer
Speedometer
Trans temp
Water temp
Fuel pressure
Fuel temp
Boost
Drive Pressure
Water pressure
Air Intake Temp pre-intercooler
Air Intake Temp Post-intercooler
EGT pre-turbo
EGT post-turbo
Transfercase temp
Rear axle temp
Front axle temp

Yeah I know it's alot and it is probably a little rice BUT it is the kid's first truck and we are going all out cause building this one is far cheaper than him buying a new one that is stock. We got about 7 months to do all of this in before he gets his license...

Your best bet would be to find a complete truck that's been wrecked or totalled and use it as a donor truck for the engine, tranny, wiring harness etc. There were a couple different wiring harness configurations that may give you trouble and trying to piece a combo together with stuff from different trucks may be more of a pain than it's worth, but I understand you have a budget. So for sh*t's and giggles.......figure out what year the engine is exactly and see if you can find out what it came out of, it'll make your life much easier. Is the transmission a manual?

Back