NHRA allows Nitrous in SC, SG, SS when Turbo Diesel is the engine

COMP461

Comp Diesel Sponsor
The new diesel friendly rules are out, and now you can run Super comp 8.90, Super Gas 9.90, and Super Street 10.90 in NHRA Lucas oil competition at any NHRA race with Nitrous.

This new rule allows nitrous in these classes only if you run a turbo diesel, and will allows Diesel to play on a more level playing field in some of the premier Sportsman classes in NHRA. These new rule were long lobbied for, and will give the diesel serious enthusiast a place to run their trucks at NHRA nation event. This should also benefit the Diesel specific sanction bodies with an influx of potential mainstream sponsors arising from the exposures available at these large events.

You can think some heavy hitters, for their diligent and tireless work on these rules, starting with Eric Lowe at NHRA tech, he is a true friend to the diesel world carrying our cause and making aware out needs to his fellow NHRA official ,Gale Banks, Mike Wood of NX, G.M Powertrains, Charlie Stewart, and brother Tony, Scott and Dustin Bentz , Bill Fletcher and a few fellow comp racers that help because I asked .

We still have more to gain in some other classes, but NHRA wants to see how we do with these eliminators
This is the rules announcement letter, I was informed last week, but this is the first official announcement of this new development

To those of you who inquired about classes permitting nitrous on diesels, the following is an outline of what has recently been discussed within NHRA and the results of this discussion. The two concerns were the use of nitrous in conjunction with a turbo on diesel vehicles and, the classes where diesels were permitted.
“Regarding turbo diesel applications with nitrous, and their acceptance into certain Sportsman classes the votes are all in, and the results are as follows.
Turbo diesel, with nitrous oxide, is permitted in ET Brackets, Super Street, Super Gas, Super Comp, Super Eliminator categories. At this time, it is prohibited in Top Dragster, Top Sportsman, Top Comp and Competition Eliminators.”

Please keep in mind that the above classes may or may not be contested at certain national and divisional events.

Also, be aware that some of the classes above where nitrous and diesel are prohibited together, do allow diesels to run without nitrous (i.e. Advance ET and Top Comp)

Should any of you have questions concerning this, please do no hesitate to email me.

Eric Lowe

NHRA - National Hot Rod Association
Technical Services Representative
626.914.4761 Main office
626.250.2209 Direct

Are you an NHRA member yet? Join today! http://www.nhra.com/join.html

I'm impressed! What class would I qualify for with my current ride, a full weight truck that runs 11's? Is there a 10.99 index class?

brandon.

Yes, that would be Super Street, a 10.90 heads up class, you don't even need a competition license just a NHRA membership and a competition number , for that membership you get a pin , a patch, a rule book, and 48 issues a year of the National Dragster. The minimum weight in Super Street with a inline six is 2000 lbs and 2800 for a V8 . you do have to have the basics , like 3” seat belt system, a Snell 2000 or later helmet, a reverse lock out shifter , and a master cut off switch on . this eliminator also runs a .500 Pro Tree.

Greg,
Just make sure to let me know what NHRA races you plan on attending w/ the Banksmobile. I'd love to follow you up in S/C or S/G to spank that azz. Bring you back down to earth. I'm glad NHRA has helped grant you this little bit of hope in the world, now you get to try and run a turbo dieseled powered entry in an NHRA sportsman class. Good luck to everyone else that is gonna try and run S/ST, hope ya'll have fun, just wanted to poke at Comp. :shake:

JRich said:
Greg,
Just make sure to let me know what NHRA races you plan on attending w/ the Banksmobile. I'd love to follow you up in S/C or S/G to spank that azz. Bring you back down to earth. I'm glad NHRA has helped grant you this little bit of hope in the world, now you get to try and run a turbo dieseled powered entry in an NHRA sportsman class. Good luck to everyone else that is gonna try and run S/ST, hope ya'll have fun, just wanted to poke at Comp. :shake:

1) you are gonna fit in just fine here.
2) no way you will get Greg back to earth LOL

What class would my Toyota be eligible for if it ran faster than an 8.90 (assuming I would have all the correct safety equipment, etc...)?

From my understanding of the rules, you can only run S/ST (10.90), S/G (9.90), and S/C (8.90). The only other class you could run which would be faster than S/C would be one of the classes such as Top Dragster/Top Sportsman, or Top Comp in NHRA's Division 7. But NHRA isn't going to allow nitrous on turbocharged diesels, b/c if they did it for diesels, they would have to do it for the gas cars. Even though they realize the nitrous is used as a cooling agent, not as a power-adder necessarily. Hope that helps, but it looks like S/C is the place to be, but beware of the .400 pro tree.

I would have to say that the DHRA provides the best platform for diesel powered entries. Long live the DHRA!:rockwoot:

I have run my old truck in Super Street, and Super Gas on many occasions, and even won a round at the Vegas divisional race, I was .501 on the tree to his .489 red , was a lucky hit , but it did prove a diesel can hit the tree, even on a pro tree, and that was with out nitrous. I would say the best place for you Elmo is in Super Gas or Super Street , you need a car or truck that can run 7 tenths or a second more then the class to be competitive, then you slow it down in the first 60 foot and this still give you a big top end charge,

COMP461 said:
I have run my old truck in Super Street, and Super Gas on many occasions, and even won a round at the Vegas divisional race, I was .501 on the tree to his .489 red , was a lucky hit , but it did prove a diesel can hit the tree, even on a pro tree, and that was with out nitrous. I would say the best place for you Elmo is in Super Gas or Super Street , you need a car or truck that can run 7 tenths or a second more then the class to be competitive, then you slow it down in the first 60 foot and this still give you a big top end charge,

Mr. Hogue,
Upon looking in the NHRA Divisional Points standings, for drivers points earned I just couldn't seem to find your name, nor your name earning any NHRA Divisional Points/Credits for 2006 ( Honestly, I did not delve in deeper with my search, but could if nessesary )

NHRA Divisional Points can be earned -without even making a pass down the track- one could earn Divisional Points by just showing up signing in and having passed NHRA Tech. Then based upon how many NHRA Divisional Points a given driver has earned would procure themselves an invite from NHRA, to an NHRA Divisional -National Event.

Perhaps you can shed some insight on this ? Perhaps a timeslip? or link to your earned points by NHRA? :poke:

Thank You.

I can vouch for Greg when it comes to his prior NHRA experience. Greg was busy racing the Dr. Performance truck last year, and helping the folks at Banks Power w/ the new truck towards the end of the year. I believe his commitments to those programs kept him from entering any NHRA races last year. But, for several years prior to last, Greg raced in numerous NHRA LODRS Events and National events, campaigning both a Kurt Manuel owned Mike Bos D/ED in Competition Eliminator, and also a Super Stock entry, also owned by Kurt Manuel. I'm all about poking fun at people, especially Greg, but regardless if he raced last year or not in NHRA, he DOES have experience in NHRA competition, which is more than alot can say. Not saying this to try and give you a big head Greg, or to disrespect anyone, just trying to state the facts.

While we are on the subject, where is your name on last years, or any years points list in NHRA LODRS competiton RacinDuallie? Just a simple ?, since alot of people on here seem to be riding the boy pretty hard. Regardless of what many of you may think, Greg has nothing but the best of intentions in everything he does. He just has a strange way of doing things, but thats HIS way of doing them. I'll get down off my soapbox now, let the bashing of me begin.

Have a nice day.

:soap:

I never questioned his time behind the wheel at an NHRA Competition? Re-read my post- I am questioning the comment on his running at Vegas in a diesel, at a divisional event. That's all.

I will not even reply to this , but it wasn't 2006. I spent ever race at diesel events , this is just another atempt to discredit me by this individal.

but here is a few NHRA points standing NHRA's places are messed up , and some is not avalable

http://www.nhra.com/stats/pointsdtl.asp?an=147226&cc=6&se=2000&tt=1&dn=Greg Hogue&ct=Aledo&st=TX&rn=461&pt=329

http://www.nhra.com/stats/pointsdtl.asp?an=147226&cc=7&se=2005&tt=1&dn=Greg Hogue&ct=Aledo&st=TX&rn=4611&pt=70

http://www.nhra.com/stats/pointsdtl.asp?an=147226&cc=9&se=2003&tt=2&dn=Greg Hogue&ct=Aledo&st=TX

http://www.nhra.com/stats/pointsdtl.asp?an=147226&cc=9&se=2004&tt=2&dn=Greg Hogue&ct=Aledo&st=TX

JRich said:
Regardless of what many of you may think, Greg has nothing but the best of intentions in everything he does. He just has a strange way of doing things, but thats HIS way of doing them. I'll get down off my soapbox now, let the bashing of me begin.

Have a nice day.

:soap:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But -I- and a few others- have experienced his strange ways first hand.......

I also have NO REASON to start bashing on you,JRich.

Guys, This thread needs to stay on topic.

COMP461 said:
I will not even reply to this , but it wasn't 2006. I spent ever race at diesel events , this is just another atempt to discredit me by this individal.

but here is a few NHRA points standing NHRA's places are messed up , and some is not avalable

http://www.nhra.com/stats/pointsdtl.asp?an=147226&cc=6&se=2000&tt=1&dn=Greg Hogue&ct=Aledo&st=TX&rn=461&pt=329

http://www.nhra.com/stats/pointsdtl.asp?an=147226&cc=7&se=2005&tt=1&dn=Greg Hogue&ct=Aledo&st=TX&rn=4611&pt=70

http://www.nhra.com/stats/pointsdtl.asp?an=147226&cc=9&se=2003&tt=2&dn=Greg Hogue&ct=Aledo&st=TX

http://www.nhra.com/stats/pointsdtl.asp?an=147226&cc=9&se=2004&tt=2&dn=Greg Hogue&ct=Aledo&st=TX

Ok then which of these events were run with The Dr.Performance Truck? You have experience in a gasser and that I cannot or will not try to take away your hard earned credit for those efforts. And I can re-call you mentioning that you were racing someone's car for them at some events.
Now the race at where you made that exhibitional pass earned for best engineered racer (Ennis) is also known.

All I want to know is the Vegas race you mention with the Dr.Performance truck?......

We know of your past gasser experience in NHRA- And no-one can discredit you for those efforts.

And in no-way is the above questions an attempt to discredit you or anyone.

Back to topic then: How many people ACTUALLY plan on trying to run an NHRA sanctioned event w/ their racetruck in 2007 based on the new rules changes? I'm not talking about keyboard racing, but actual entries. I'm under the impression that this rule is only going to apply to a few racers. If so, what do you plan on accomplishing......realistically?

Timbeaux38 said:
Guys, This thread needs to stay on topic.
Sorry Tim, I just asked one question to Greg and he wants to make it into an attempt by me to dis credit him- which is NOT my intention. .

RacinDuallie said:
Sorry Tim, I just asked one question to Greg and he wants to make it into an attempt by me to dis credit him- which is NOT my intention. .

Not your intention? Then what was your intention....just to satisfy your own curiosity? Yeah right, u should give your fellow board readers a little more credit than that.

Perhaps you need to re-read my origional post where it said for 2006?? Then re-read the follow up posts where I DID agree about his past accomplishments with his gasser experience. And yes my question was to satisfy my curiosity.

Back