NHRA approves nitrous in Top Sportsman, top Comp, and Top Dragster

COMP461

Comp Diesel Sponsor
NHRA has now approved the use of Nitrous in combination with turbochargers in Top Sportsman, Top Dragster, and Top Comp, in Division 6 and Division 7 where diesel is the fuel. This is in addition to the already approved rule changes allowing Nitrous where diesel is the fuel in vehicles competing Super Street, Super Gas and Super Comp in all NHRA Lucas Oil series divisional races and NHRA PowerAde series national events.

This is a huge development, allowing unlimited racing of diesels in these categories, there were a lot of people that lobbied diligently for this changes. We have made a few allies at NHRA that facilitated these rule changes. Eric Lowe was in the lead.

Gale, Mike Wood CEO of NX, along with a OEM and a few licensed NHRA competitors worked diligently on this important issue. The Duramax Type D was built run this class

top sportsman is a minimum dial of 7.95 should be no problem,

We are expecting an official announcement directly from NHRA, these new rule changes are for Division 6 and 7. I was also informed to contact my Division director on these new rules for acceptance in Division 1-(my Division) So we will collectively need to contact our NHRA Division Directors to notify them of our intentions.

We will wait for the official word from NHRA beforehand, give it a period of time to let the info circulate, then send out an approved draft for the Division Directors notification on the changes.

This information came directly from NHRA!

We were contacted in advance on this rule revision for a several reason. The first being, we were the group of affected, licensed, racers . We have experience competing in these NHRA categories, and will be taking to the track in a few short weeks. Second we lobbied diligently the officials involved in the decision making process. Most of us have long established relationships with NHRA, and this relationship is a primary reason we were given this chance, almost everyone involved in this effort including Gale, have a background in Competition Eliminator as either a driver or Car owner or engine developer.

I don’t tell everyone this to brag, but a lot of people might attempt to take credit for this rule change,

COMP461 said:
This information came directly from NHRA!

We were contacted in advance on this rule revision for a several reason. The first being, we were the group of affected, licensed, racers . We have experience competing in these NHRA categories, and will be taking to the track in a few short weeks. Second we lobbied diligently the officials involved in the decision making process. Most of us have long established relationships with NHRA, and this relationship is a primary reason we were given this chance, almost everyone involved in this effort including Gale, have a background in Competition Eliminator as either a driver or Car owner or engine developer.

I don’t tell everyone this to brag, but a lot of people might attempt to take credit for this rule change,

Yes this very same info was directed to ALL parties involved, we were informed of this proposition a while ago, Greg....... We also have allies in NHRA, yet we choose to allow the fine folks at NHRA to let the cat outta the bag so to speak.... Lest you think you have the only connections you are wrong. Yet I do not see any part of my post where credit is being solely taken? What would you like me to do post the names of the recipients of the e-mail sent out to inform all the parties? Give it up bro, the world does not revolve around you only, there are other concerned owners out here, including myself and others within a group of united racers. . . .

WE ARE WAITING FOR THE OFFICIAL WORD; IN BLACK AND WHITE- even though the word was passed down VERBALLY, we have manners and respect the hard work that the people at NHRA put forth with these considerations that were put in front of them and approved.....

Thanks for your concerns

Hey Jeff,I called numerous times in regards to this rule and kept getting no from the Northeast division director.So I made a choice to go to the head tech director he said it will be in effect then waited another month nothing.So at PRI I spoke directly face to face to Eric Lowe who is the tech main guy(in line behind Gale Banks who was asking the same question I was about to) and he said it is a go no problem been approved in all divisions for 2007.

The critical part now is to show up at the track and put on a professional effort. This rule change has been lobbied for several years by Scott Benz’s and me, with no effect.

I had already competed in several NHRA divisional and National events and Scott and Dustin had run exhibition. NHRA professional racers had expressed concerns at mine and Dustin’s runs, listing smoke, soot, and lack of ability to hit an autostart tree. I think the momentum started to go in our direction when Gale Banks, Mike Wood of NX and with support from G.M. PowerTrains approached NHRA with the pertinent facts and the solutions to the concerns and misnomers held by non diesel competitors. Gale and Mike both set out to educate the senior officials about the many opportunities that these rule changes could bring about By allowing these adjustments NHRA’s has proven that it wants to be inclusive and diverse, adhering to the changing demographics of the automotive enthusiastic

NHRA was also lobbied by several licensed racers, which have a relative high profile in NHRA professional sportsman ranks. Those racers now will be actively campaigning in the first few months of this season. I have heard from several of you with regards to competing in NHRA and the logistics of this direction, and I expect to see several of you in the national Dragster soon
Enough talk lets get to the track

Back