NHRA Tech Alert: Temporary Product Decertification

Twisted Shifter

I was poking around and found this, thought I would pass it along, no I can't answer the question of why, but thought everyone should know.

Thursday, July 09, 2009

NHRA has received notice from SFI Inc. that a Notice of Temporary Product Decertification was issued today to Impact Racing Products Inc. regarding certain products (listed below). Therefore, effective immediately, the products listed below will not be accepted for use in NHRA racing at this time. The products are:

Driver suits, pants, and jackets manufactured in 2007 identified as compliant with SFI Specification 3.2A/15 or 3.2A/20

This temporary decertification applies to Impact Racing all driver suits, pants, or jackets manufactured in 2007 whether or not the item has been updated, upgraded, rebadged, or recertified by Impact Racing.

This temporary decertification applies even if a product that was manufactured in 2007 now has a 2009 SFI label affixed to the product. The date of manufacture of the product is determinative.

SFI has informed NHRA that Impact Racing has challenged SFI’s findings in this matter and is conducting its own review of the findings. SFI also has informed NHRA that SFI’s investigation continues. In addition, SFI has informed NHRA that this decertification may be modified, withdrawn, or made permanent.

The earlier recall of the following Impact Racing items remains in effect:

Driver suits, pants, and jackets manufactured in 2008 identified as compliant with SFI Specification 3.2A/15 or 3.2A/20

Driver shoes and boots manufactured in 2008 identified as compliant with SFI Specification 3.3/15 or 3.3/20

It's basically an extension of the Mach recall to cover the 2007 manufactured suits as well, but it is still only limited to /15 & /20 suits. Some of the faster diesel racers (Scheid, Banks) will have to upgrade to those suits next year, but it should not affect any diesel racers this year unless they already bought their suits for next year.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Back