nhrda flexplate rules?

Todd W

Comp Diesel Sponsor
To all those going 9.99 and quicker please help me understand the ruling.

per nhrda rules
SFI 29.1 flexplate / 30.1 flexplate shield (AT equipped cars

Link to said rules
http://www.nhrda.com/Rules.php

Does this mean you need either a 29.1 flexplate, or a 30.1 flexplate sheild? Or does it mean you need both of these items.

If it means you need both where are people finding sfi flexplate shields for the dodge 47/48 transmissions.

I have done a compd search and some google searching and have found nothing. Lots of sfi 4.1 trans blankets and bellhousing blankets but nothing that is sfi 30.1

I am happy to do both, just can't seem to find a way to.

Any ideas on how to get a sfi 30.1 flexplate sheild for a 47re?

I am happy to do both, just can't seem to find a way to.

Any ideas on how to get a sfi 30.1 flexplate sheild for a 47re?

Build your own from scratch or modify a off the shelf one for say a tf727 and send off to be certified once you are satisfied with fitment.

In may of 2013 I sent an e-mail to NHRDA that said "In the rules it states “SFI 29.1 flexplate / 30.1 flexplate shield”

does that mean we need both? or just one?"

Jason Murray wrote back and said "just one"

In may of 2013 I sent an e-mail to NHRDA that said "In the rules it states “SFI 29.1 flexplate / 30.1 flexplate shield”

awesome, thanks a lot.

From the NHRA rulebook, General regulations 2:14
9.99 or quicker E.T. cars, and
135-mph or faster E.T. cars using an automatic transmission,
Lenco Drive, or BRT must be equipped with a flexplate meeting
SFI Spec 29.1 and covered by a flexplate shield meeting SFI
Spec 30.1

Jason must have not been paying attention, this is NOT correct. As noted above they are both required for NHRA rules.

I wonder if one of these would fit a diesel Dodge trans?
http://www.jegs.com/p/Quick-Time-BellHousing/Quick-Time-Flexplate-Shields/1324811/10002/-1

Having seen the effects of a flexplate coming apart, it is definitely something you want to have! My race truck has both an SFI rated bellhousing AND a separate shield.

Back