Nitrous and EGTs

What kind of EGT drop is everyone seeing?

And is there a point of having so much nitrous that egts will go up?

If you have a heavy fueled race rig then the nitrous will hit harder and egt's will go up, way up. For those that see a decrease in temp., you must either be out of fuel, or running a lean tune up. Temp. drop is even poss. I hear on a heavy fueled engine but Ive personally never seen it or close to it.

We run a heavily fueled engine and have never seen an increase in EGTs with nitrous. In fact on our new pro stock truck we are going to be running Nitrous instead of an intercooler because of the cooling effects of Nitrous.
I think it all depends on weather your tune is made to run with nitrous or not. If you have lots of timing in your tune yes you will see an increase in EGT's but if you have a nitrous specific tune then you will see a drop.

I should have been clearer in my first explanation.

We run a heavily fueled engine and have never seen an increase in EGTs with nitrous. In fact on our new pro stock truck we are going to be running Nitrous instead of an intercooler because of the cooling effects of Nitrous.
I think it all depends on weather your tune is made to run with nitrous or not. If you have lots of timing in your tune yes you will see an increase in EGT's but if you have a nitrous specific tune then you will see a drop.

I should have been clearer in my first explanation.

Ya, probally more of a CR [or any of the late models which use a tuner] thing where you have computer control of the fueling and a dynamic timing curve. But in a old dynosour 12v with fixed timing and loads of extra fuel.... a big egt gain is what's seen in data logging for myself and many other P-pump racers that I know. Through the years the Only time I ever hurt engines was with nitrous and I used very little of it on a pass. It's sure great for making power though.......

Its unfamiluar to me but its good to know and makes some since that it can be used and lower egt's in certain cases, but like mentioned I bet thats mostly only on computer controled engines where the timing is pulled way back and fueling very closely monitored. Id bet money that it hits Way harder on a fat ass 12v though, LOL. There's a good reason for that big raise in temp's, cylinder pressures and burn rate are going crazy while all that extra late fuel is being introduced to lots of oxygen= big power. But its like pushing the oxy. handle on the torch, it starts to want to cut through **** fast.........

Ryan

Last edited:
Info I wanted to hear! I was pretty sure I have read the nos will increse EGTs in certant situations.

I know School Bud melted his turbo housing with the juice

I think a lean truck (like my old 12mm pump setup was) would benefit from EGT decreases from the nitrous being mostly a cold charge and also less of a power enhancer. With big fuel and the nitrous being " used up completely " for lack of a better term you are increasing the power at much higher levels and that usually means more heat.

lots of fuel + nitrous + 12 valve =

12f2d079.jpg

795be1b2.jpg

hmm It has to be the difference in 12v vs CR because my PS truck is very heavy fueled and was very light on air flow. I had to spray to help keep EGT's in check. I would get on average a 200* drop in EGT's spraying it.

I think in your case Jake the computer tuning on cr is the big difference. Being able to flash a tune with less timing allows you to make up for lost air and also decrease EGTS at the same time from that cold nitrous injection.

What EGTS do you see? My gauge does not read high enough to do chit anyway. Got a 2200 EGT gauge on the way that should help but still might not be high enough lol

That is as far as your digital gauge goes?

My mechanical gauge it 1600 in the truck lol. The one coming in the mail is 2200 with memory recall and peak alerts.

I have a 2k gauge and will peg it on fuel pass and see about 1850 on the bottle. (all of this is subject to change with the new twins)

I haven not dialed any timing back on the truck from stock tuning I just have not added any either so far the only real tuning on the truck is some fuel pressure and duration (minus what timing the injectors have added). The scary part is most of the tuning so far is very mild. I have yet to get the truck to handle what its got so haven't seen much need to try and push anything else out of it yet.

VMAX ; Who makes that EGT gauge you are talking about and do you have a part number ? I would be interested in getting one. Thanks ....

Guys I'm pretty unfamilier with the bottle on these diesels so bear with me here, so I understand that you want the injection timeing pulled back or retarded as the nitrous is introduced so say in a 12 valve application could the 215 hp pump be "somewhat" of an idea? Or just dump it in and gate the S*** outta it for a 1/4 stretch?! I'm unclear as to how much the 215 pump pulls timeing away (it about 4* or did I dream that up?) and where in the powerband it starts to pull it back or if theres even any way to control it? Im wanting to think no (delivery valves or somethin)? I know its not a computer that your able to manualy tune like a CR but it was a thought I had and wanted to see what yalls thoughts were on it. :Cheer:

Pulling timing helps, but you can still run a good amount. Low to mid 20s and you should still be ok. It's a balancing act between killing pistons and killing turbos, but sub 1,000rwhp trucks usually can be reliable without taking out either.

Guys I'm pretty unfamilier with the bottle on these diesels so bear with me here, so I understand that you want the injection timeing pulled back or retarded as the nitrous is introduced so say in a 12 valve application could the 215 hp pump be "somewhat" of an idea? Or just dump it in and gate the S*** outta it for a 1/4 stretch?! I'm unclear as to how much the 215 pump pulls timeing away (it about 4* or did I dream that up?) and where in the powerband it starts to pull it back or if theres even any way to control it? Im wanting to think no (delivery valves or somethin)? I know its not a computer that your able to manualy tune like a CR but it was a thought I had and wanted to see what yalls thoughts were on it. :Cheer:

The retard notches in the 215 pump's plungers reduce timing at full rack travel. There is some effect by the governor but for the most part it is strictly a WOT phenomenon and has little to do with rpm. I didn't search for the exact numbers for you, but IIRC it starts retarding the timing above 17mm of rack travel. You will only be spraying nitrous at full throttle so the 215 pump is arguably better suited for nitrous than the other pumps since it retards the timing for you.

Right on, I'm not meaning to derail or anything yall but do ya know how many degrees it retards? Thanks for the insight, I'd love to play with the bottle in a future s-10 project i've got but want to know more about what im playing with before it gets started.

Back