Nitrous on a superfarm?

99Binder

The other night at a local tractor pull there was a superfarm tractor that had been putting 10-15 feet on everyone regularly, anyway he took his normal stroll down the track and and the smoke turned a different then normal shade of black. following the motor blowing up there was a 5-10 foot flame that came out of the stack. Just wondering if any of you tractor pullers that know what nitrous is like on a pulling tractor could shed some light on a situation.

The different color was the water injection turning off. Nitrous only makes the smoke clean up to varying degrees, not change color. Perhaps his water injection failed?

brandon.

I agree on that one, sounds like water. I don't know af any pullers running nitrous, but I know just about everyone shoots water when the rules allow.

I would think real motors like those or in the high end trucks will not live but a little bit without water.

Nitrous is easy to tell by the sound change, very noticeable!

Jim

yeah i know how water injection works. The flame at the end is was several people were concerned about. He was pulling with the local association so hey dont tech every event. I was also wondering if anyone has used nitrous on pulling tractor?

He could be putting alcohol in this water and the flame might be burning the alcohol out i know that ottpa does not allow alcohol but he might be trying somthing at a brush pull i have used a ton of nos and watched trucks blow up on it there is a flame but it followed by a ear blowing explosion

still not going to name any names but the guy has been tearing up outlaw like its his JOB and has a lot of peoples attention now, i dont think its nitrous but he is doing something right

bump.

dragging this one back to the top...I "heard" some little tractors at the state fair were running nos but hadn't heard of a SF doing it...

I've also heard about some kind of new fuel "additive" some pullers are supposedly trying...basically an oxidizing agent of some kind that is detectable in tests, but not after being exposed to the atmosphere for a while...anybody else heard anything like this or have i been sniffing too many diesel fumes again??

BIGRPOWR said:
i dont think nos is flammable.

well, NOS is a brand name, so I don't really see how it would be flamable... you could burn the paper it was printed on, but a brand name isn't a physical entity, it's a legal entity...

anyhow, nitrous oxide isn't flamable, but it is an oxidizer.

if it shot a long flame at the end his water pump for injection went out theres a tractor by me the guy said he gets a sort flame for a sec then goes away cause the water kicked on if it didnt all hell would happen to his tractors motor lol

It's hard enough trying to keep these super farms pro's or super's together with/o nos or alcohol. With alcohol in the water injection it's very easy to melt pistons(most rules don't allow it). With nos I don't know what to say I've seen blocks shear off at the cam with out nos(I don't know any organization that allows it). I would have to speculate that the water was not right or he had a turbo failure of some sort. I would have to say for sure that if this guy is running nos you won't see him to much longer.

guys here in ohio will tell you there used to be a guy had a old ford 8000 he come off the line then kinda hop in his seat the exhaust would go almost clear the motor changed sounds and usually took off like a bat outa hell but bout every 5 runs he do that and it would just die later someone seen im changing cans of nitrous got pics of him and i dont think hes done it since

Back