No budget 6.4 mods. Help.

Gibson

There's no love in diesel
My lawyer buddy wants to mod his 6.4. It's an 08 350 CC DRW 4x4

He tows but mainly wants to be faster than any truck in his town....

So far I was thinking

SCT livewire 585 tune from RCD
DPF delete from RCD
EGR delete from ?
aFe intake
90hp injectors from ?
S300/S400 turbos?
Triple disc ATS TC
ATS trans

Any other upgrades he needs let me know. And Im not familier with 6.4's. Where should he go to get his parts?

Elite has some good upgrades from what I have read. Look at what Aaron at Rudy's has done. I would add Head Studs to that list and go with a Suncoast Trans.

I think a good tune and some water for towing will make him happy.

devin, you and i both know he won't do any of that.
he'll do the same stupid **** he did last time.. take it to 4wheel parts and have them put edge everything on it lol.

juys, this is a job 1 if that matters.

Why are you using ATS for the tranny stuff?

I got some stuff in the works for the 6.4 Turbos as well.

My lawyer buddy wants to mod his 6.4. It's an 08 350 CC DRW 4x4

He tows but mainly wants to be faster than any truck in his town....
How big's the town...Most places you could spartan tune it, throw an intake and exhaust on and be done lol

I wish I had a lawyer friend...must be nice when it comes to who pays the check at lunch :hehe:

Seriously, if he got Intake, DPF/DOC delete, Spartan 310 - with TCM for the transmission, he'd be in the mid to low 13's even with the dually.

If that's not fast enough, he could do:

Spearco intercooler - Aaron @ Rudy's Diesel Performance
Intercooler pipe tapped for nitrous and/or water/meth - Aaron
Downpipe (behind turbo) - Aaron
Elite Full EGR Delete - Elite Diesel Performance
2 stages of Nitrous - Whoever

But all that would pretty much require Headstuds, full Suncoast Tranny, and multiple days downtime for install, not to mention a spare truck for towing F-350 dually loads

Seriously, if he got Intake, DPF/DOC delete, Spartan 310 - with TCM for the transmission, he'd be in the mid to low 13's even with the dually.

If that's not fast enough, he could do:

Spearco intercooler - Aaron @ Rudy's Diesel Performance
Intercooler pipe tapped for nitrous and/or water/meth - Aaron
Downpipe (behind turbo) - Aaron
Elite Full EGR Delete - Elite Diesel Performance
2 stages of Nitrous - Whoever

But all that would pretty much require Headstuds, full Suncoast Tranny, and multiple days downtime for install, not to mention a spare truck for towing F-350 dually loads

The truck won't be a good tow rig after all of these mods?

The truck won't be a good tow rig after all of these mods?

If he plans to tow a 5 x 8 trailer with a 4 wheeler, he'll be fine. If he plans to tow a 15k 5th wheel, he should just open an account, put $50k in it, and have a tow truck on speed dial.

It probably isn't, but for my money, I would never heavily modify a truck and plan to tow heavy weights with it. My heavily modified truck would have to be a toy (second vehicle). Then again, I come from the offroad crowd that has a trailer queen, not a daily driver that I offroad. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'm sure with a custom 310 tune, full EGR delete, head studs, intercooler, upgraded pipes, and correct combination of Suncoast, solenoid, TCM, and tuning, the truck would be pretty reliable, even towing, so long as you drive smart. But most with that amount of power don't drive slow, and the truck probably won't act right going slow either. Those heavy (practically irreversible) mods aren't made for workhorse tow trucks.

I think a fill suncoast and sparten tuner with intake and exhasut is in order. And full egr delete.

And towing I belive a 80-100 tune will be a ok

Most people that tow a bunch and run hot tunes drop down to the 210 tune for towing, or even smaller. He could do this too when he tows, but I'm not sure whether Spartan can or can't write a 210 tune for full EGR delete or not. They probably can. I know the EGR valve is turned off for the 210 tune, might not have much to change for a full EGR delete.

Gibson, this is what I have learned so far about the 6.4.... take pretty much everything you have learned about the Cummins engine,, and forget it.. there dosent seem to be much corelation between the 2.. other than they both have a Common Rail injection system that is where it ends.. and that is pretty much all I know other than Spartan Rocks on the 6.4 and the trannys are pretty darn tough and will take a fair bit of HP in stock form..

why does everyone keep recommending suncoast, i thought the 6.4 trans was similar to the 6.0. if so there has only been one place that has really been successful keeping them reliable and that is NADP which uses a suncoast torque converter. Elite diesel is the place to go for everything else. ATS is a joke, for a company that could be great but they let there customer service ruin them.

Back