No oil to valve rockers?

hounddogks76

Just did my head gasket and while i had it running with the valve covers off, I noticed i'm not getting oil to the rockers on the back 3 cylinders. Now i do have a really thin oil in it right now.Bought the cheapest crap i could find to flush the system out when i got water in the oil. I'm gonna change it again and put 15-40 in to see if that helps the situation, Any ideas appreciated.
:nail:

Mine were up to the rockers in about 3 minutes. I also am running standard 5-30 I got from work for free. Waiting on new oil filter before I change it out.

I'm glad I lubed the crap out of things when I did my last cam change, this time was the first time I've run the motor with a valve cover off, I was expecting it to be like my SBC's..... but its crazy how long it took for enough oil to get down onto the valve guides

I've ran it 3 different times for up tp 20 minutes each time, still no oil to rockers. Only the first 2 cylinders are getting oil. I've pulled number 3 and 4 rockers and cleaned them and blew air to them they checked out fine. Either i've got a clogged passage or pressure relief valve might be weak. Oil pressure reads 30 at idle when warm and goes to 40 psi on factory guage at 1200 rpm.

IMHO put a old school mechanical guage on it and verify your factory one is working properly.

Ok guys, i put a mechanical guage on the filter housing port and i'm getting 65 psi when cold and it's holding 60 psi when at a warm idle. Called cummins tech line and they said to tap into an oil port on left side of engine to verify the oil rifling, that was feeding the head was at the same pressure, it was 60 psi also. someone on another forum also said that when i pull the rocker bolts, that i would have to suck oil out of the hole, before i could reinstall the bolt. This is not a problem, because the oil does not remain in the hole, It filters itself back down the gallery. So heres the question, is the check valve in the oil cooler, supposed to hold the oil in the top end with out it draining back down. I did verify that it is getting up the rocker bolt holes by having a friend crank it while i watched for oil, it comes gushing out of the hole. I',m stumped guys, it seems to be a pressure problem?

Oil feeds up through the headbolt hole, not the rocker pedistal bolt, you're still not getting oil up there even with 60lbs of oil pressure? Could possible just have oil gunk in the rocker pedistals that arnt oiling

Edit, nevermind, looks like you allready covered that.

Headgasket maybe? Oil could not be getting from the 1/4 hole in the deck of the block
To the headbolt.

Last edited:
oooops....i meant the headbolt hole. I'm getting oil thru the head bolt hole while cranking engine over, and i've poured oil down the holes thru the head with the rocker assemblies off, with the oil cooler out so i can watch to see if any gunk came out. Nothing, just clean oil and air preesure when putting the blow gun in bolt hole. I did just get off the phone with cummins tech AGAIN!!!! lol And he said that my thinking on the bypass valve being weak could cause the oil pressure in the head to be low. And of course cummins ordered the wrong spring, so i have to wait tomorrow to get the right bypass valve.

I've finally got oil to all the rockers now. Don't know what i did or what happened, just removed all the rockers and cleaned them again and blew down all the bolt holes into the head. I never saw any debris out of the rockers or out of the side of the block with the oil cooler removed.

It's not a ton of oil, but i checked my 91 and it flows about the same across the rockers as the 97 is doing now.

Back