No Power Feeling on Top End

Runaway_Diesel

RIPNDIP
I've been driving my '97 12 Valve lately since we've got everything hooked up and running well. Since it is a completely rebuilt motor, I've been taking it easy with my right foot and putting around keeping it under 2500 RPMs or so. But today and once a few days ago, I stepped into it a little getting onto the interstate and took it to 3000 RPMs moderately getting into it. The turbo spooled quick (Borg S369SXE FMW) and i was happy with that, but what I noticed when I reached about 2700 RPMs, the boost gauge read 40 lbs. and never went higher or lower until I shifted. Also, it felt like the power was topped out right before I shifted. The pump was rebuilt by Antrim Diesel and was supposed to have the original 4K Governor Springs that I had previously installed. Is it possible my pump doesn't have the 4Ks in it? Or could it be something else in my system? Fuel Pressure stays at 40 lbs. the whole time, timing is low at 13* but after the break in will be bumped to about 20-22*, and I have no boost leaks or anything like that. Any of the experts have any ideas/suggestions?

I'm far from an expert but, with timing that low, that's to be expected. Bump it up to 20 ish and that problem will vanish.

Thanks for the reply, I didn't really think a well known shop wouldn't put the correct springs in my pump, but stranger things have happened. I will bump the timing when the break in period is over and see how she does.

When I put my 4k's in i left my timing stock for about a month and it was totally laid over by 3k. Bumping it up to 18 it pulled hard until 3k and then my hx35 started running out of steam. Sounds like its acting perfectly normal given the timing of 13 degrees.

Ive got the timing on mine at 14* and it runs out of juice on the top end also. But off the line it doesnt smoke as bad and it has more power. Thats just the trade-off with the mechanical trucks and the turbo.

I've been driving my '97 12 Valve lately since we've got everything hooked up and running well. Since it is a completely rebuilt motor, I've been taking it easy with my right foot and putting around keeping it under 2500 RPMs or so. But today and once a few days ago, I stepped into it a little getting onto the interstate and took it to 3000 RPMs moderately getting into it. The turbo spooled quick (Borg S369SXE FMW) and i was happy with that, but what I noticed when I reached about 2700 RPMs, the boost gauge read 40 lbs. and never went higher or lower until I shifted. Also, it felt like the power was topped out right before I shifted. The pump was rebuilt by Antrim Diesel and was supposed to have the original 4K Governor Springs that I had previously installed. Is it possible my pump doesn't have the 4Ks in it? Or could it be something else in my system? Fuel Pressure stays at 40 lbs. the whole time, timing is low at 13* but after the break in will be bumped to about 20-22*, and I have no boost leaks or anything like that. Any of the experts have any ideas/suggestions?

How do you like the 69 overall? I'm still looking for a big fan to put on my 12V. What housing?

I'm really happy at 21deg for daily driving, towing, and having fun. I can feel it start to taper around 3200rpm, but soon after that my fuel pressure drops a little too.
If I were you, I'd up the timing, but hook up a fuel gauge as well, and also check to make sure your fuel shut off solenoid is lifting 100% and the shaft still has the woodruff key in it.

I really like the drivability of the 69. With the FMW and the .88 undivided housing (I know i should have gone with the .91 Divided, but you live and learn) I've got 5x.014s and it would light at around 1800 RPMs in almost every gear. Bad news though, last night driving home from work I slowed down for a turning vehicle in 3rd gear, as I accelerated and went to shift into 4th, I heard a very loud screeching noise and the engine completely shut off. I was able to coast into a nearby parking lot and I immediately got out and checked the turbo. Sure enough, the shaft had a lot of slop in it and was hitting the housing. Luckily my father was awake and was able to come rescue me with his personal rollback tow truck. This was at about 10 PM and after working both jobs all day, I didn't feel like messing with it. I'm going to contact Power Driven Diesel today since I bought the charger from them and see what they want me to do. Luckily, I work at a turbo charger shop and worst case scenario I can rebuild the turbo in house.

Thanks for all the advice guys, once I get the charger fixed the timing will be bumped and fuel pressure will be bumped to about 45 lbs.

I really like the drivability of the 69. With the FMW and the .88 undivided housing (I know i should have gone with the .91 Divided, but you live and learn) I've got 5x.014s and it would light at around 1800 RPMs in almost every gear. Bad news though, last night driving home from work I slowed down for a turning vehicle in 3rd gear, as I accelerated and went to shift into 4th, I heard a very loud screeching noise and the engine completely shut off. I was able to coast into a nearby parking lot and I immediately got out and checked the turbo. Sure enough, the shaft had a lot of slop in it and was hitting the housing. Luckily my father was awake and was able to come rescue me with his personal rollback tow truck. This was at about 10 PM and after working both jobs all day, I didn't feel like messing with it. I'm going to contact Power Driven Diesel today since I bought the charger from them and see what they want me to do. Luckily, I work at a turbo charger shop and worst case scenario I can rebuild the turbo in house.

Thanks for all the advice guys, once I get the charger fixed the timing will be bumped and fuel pressure will be bumped to about 45 lbs.

That's not good. Might want to check and make sure its getting oil and draining properly. Nevertheless those guys will take care of you. Will and Todd are good people.

Wow that sucks! Please keep us updated on the status of the turbo. Hope everything works out for you!

I have to second the, "keep us updated".
People have a lot of interest in that turbo, including myself, and you seem to be the only one talking about it from a first hand experience.

Even though I haven't had the chance to really see the performance advantages and get any type of numbers from the turbo, I personally like it a lot. Between the tight housing and the 69mm FMW, it does a great job with spool up and drivability. The EGTs were surprisingly low as well, not seeing over 1000 degrees on the occasional 3k run. I'm hoping nothing is wrong in my system that would have caused the turbo failure so I can rebuild the charger and get it back on the road. I'm itching to see what it will do with higher timing and more fuel pressure.

Got the truck off of the rollback today and pushed back into the shop. Pulled the the turbo feed and drain lines off and they were bone dry as well as no oil dripped out of the turbo cartridge. I had been having trouble with my oil pressure sending unit prior to this where the oil pressure would drop to 0 for a second, but would immediately raise back to 40 PSI. Tomorrow I'm going to have Jeremy come over and we are going to bump the motor over with a catch pan under the oil feed line to see if the turbo was even getting oil. Fingers crossed the engine wasn't harmed and it will be an easy fix.

Losing a turbo shouldn't have made the engine shut off like you said. I think your engine must have gotten hurt too.

Recent overhaul of engine, random stints of 0 oil psi, and now no oil from the turbo drain or feed. Prepare for the worst because it sounds like you have a plugged oil galley somewhere internally...

No oil in the turbo and the engine cutting out does not bode well unfortunately. I would pull the pan and check a cap personally. At very least drain the oil and cut open the filter and inspect it before going any further. Good luck hope it all turns out o.k.

Just remembered that I have heard a few instances of the aftermarket oil pumps failing in very short order, like 500 miles or so.

Last edited:
Recent overhaul of engine, random stints of 0 oil psi, and now no oil from the turbo drain or feed. Prepare for the worst because it sounds like you have a plugged oil galley somewhere internally...

This^^

No oil in the turbo would make me worry quite a lot on a fresh rebuilt engine.

2X on rdix7991. Todd & Will are Great folks and if they can help, they WILL. Hope for the best on your CTD6...

Doesn't oil go from pump straight to cooler/filter, and then to turbo? So if he's not getting oil at turbo, it could be a blockage in the cooler/filter housing?

Back