non sfi dual disk southbend

Ph4tty

I'm nobody
Anyone running their new non sfi approved dual disk? Its a diaphragm style pressure plate with a plate load of 3200 with 12 ceramic buttons per side and light engagement. I think it might be perfect for my rwd, but I'm looking for feedback if anyone is running one.

Also any opinions on the new sprung hub disks as opposed to the unsprung that I'm running now? Unsprung seems fine with a fluidamper on the crank.

I bought this clutch used two years ago and have been abusing it non stop so I just want a new one that I can be nice to rather than trying to have this one repaired. Peter's going to hook me up, just wanted some input.

(Note to self- 2nd or 3rd gear is enough fun without trying to launch in 4th) :bang

I put in a 3600 12 button non-sfi approved sprung hub DD early last summer after fighting the original non-sprung approved equivalent for a couple of years. I just got tired of the chatter, rattle when disengaged, and gawd-awful squawk at engagement from a dead stop.

It is much more friendly for a daily driver. I had no need for the competition version since I don't pull or run on the 1/4 mile. I haven't tried any 3rd gear launches yet like I'd do on the other one, but I'm sure it would hold it. Although I will admit, I spun the previous one on a 3rd gear launch one day and I'm no where near its 650 hp stated limit (yet).

When I was looking into this, Peter said they've seen my current one, also rated at 650 hp, hold 1000 hp before slipping on a dyno.

One of these days I'll do a hard 3rd gear launch, but in the mean time, it is continuing to be real nice to drive.

-Jay

Well I ordered one this morning so I hope they are nice. Peter says the new design shifts faster than mine. Both are 12 puck ceramic, but its going to be a slightly ligher plate load, sprung hub, and diaphragm operated. I'm looking forward to giving it a try next week. I do have a strong left leg from shifting this thing for the last couple years so the plate load isn't by biggest concern, but this is what was recommended for quickest shifting.

Edit- you need to post more brother because I love that avatar :rockwoot:

i have the non sfi 12 ceramic button sprung hub in 3250.... seems to shift about as fast as my ofe did. and holds....

I can't say that I noticed the new one is any faster to shift than the previous one. Face it, the NV4500 is just not a fast shifting tranny, particularly with a dual disc clutch. 2nd to third is the slowest on mine. 3rd to 4th is a bit easier. 5th is about the same. If I really get physical I can force it a little faster but I swear I'm going to break or bend something!

-Jay

I have the clutch you were asking about, I love it, but my only complaint is that its SLOW shifting, hard to bang through the gears.

I've got that clutch in my 12v, soft pedal (stock pressure), shifts comparable to my 3600 6 CB unsprung I have in the 24v. The 24v has a short shifter in it, so its not apples to apples. Mine still has a vibe at 1700 rpm, even with the fluid damper. Fairly smooth engagement. I like it so far, had it for about 5 or 6 months.

This is the clutch that Peter recommended for me and my goals. I specifically asked about the 3250 DD for the 1 1/4" input shaft. He said that both the 3250 and 3600 lb Non SFI dual discs for the smaller shaft would hold well into the 700's. Peter is a great guy, and is very knowledgeable. Just my .02

Eric

Back