Not charging, no speedo, no tach, etc -- Help please

ENafziger

Quick rundown... '95 Cummins 5 speed

A/C compressor quit engaging. Fuel solenoid plunger wouldn't pull in. I bypassed those two. Then truck quits charging (alternator checks fine) and the speedometer and tach quit.

At this point, I regapped the crank sensor. No change. Replaced the crank sensor. No change...EXCEPT that now the fuel solenoid plunger pulls in fine, but it won't release when you turn the key off!

Thoughts?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks!

--Eric

With that many varying issues I'd look into a ground problem maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also check the fuse panel on drivers side of the dash. Had a similar issue make me almost go crazy, and thought I had checked ALL of the fuses, but missed that one that controlled all that stuff.. It's like a 10amp fuse if I remember right...

I had similar issues. Fried pcm. Sent to a company in florida and they repaired it for 150. Good luck finding what fried the pcm. My issue was a short to power at the ac compressor. Unhooked compressor and all has been good since. Good luck

Somewhere around here I have a good '94/95 Manual trans. PCM...

Mark.

Quick rundown... '95 Cummins 5 speed

A/C compressor quit engaging. Fuel solenoid plunger wouldn't pull in. I bypassed those two. Then truck quits charging (alternator checks fine) and the speedometer and tach quit.

At this point, I regapped the crank sensor. No change. Replaced the crank sensor. No change...EXCEPT that now the fuel solenoid plunger pulls in fine, but it won't release when you turn the key off!

Thoughts?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks!

--Eric
It sounds unlikely with the symptoms listed, but check the IOD fuse.
cca5a49fd920a79a423d0cc02852d0b9.jpg
379df619c8760c9dc9b975ea2f887222.jpg

The fuel solenoid hold in circuit needs to be checked to see if it's shorted to high source. It sounds like it's either shorted high or experiencing a mechanical failure.

Check the ground on the driver fender.
The pull in only needs signal from the start circuit and the solenoid ground.
That's why the pull up over heats if the starter contacts are burnt.

Alpha Beta Test Monkey
Guang-Zoo Turbo Systems

Last edited:
It sounds unlikely with the symptoms listed, but check the IOD fuse.
cca5a49fd920a79a423d0cc02852d0b9.jpg
379df619c8760c9dc9b975ea2f887222.jpg

The fuel solenoid hold in circuit needs to be checked to see if it's shorted to high source. It sounds like it's either shorted high or experiencing a mechanical failure.

Check the ground on the driver fender.
The pull in only needs signal from the start circuit and the solenoid ground.
That's why the pull up over heats if the starter contacts are burnt.

Alpha Beta Test Monkey
Guang-Zoo Turbo Systems

There it is, that was the fuse I was talking about lol. I couldn't go look and tell you exactly which one it was cuz I had sold the truck and couldn't remember off the top of my head which one it was.

Mine had the key on signal for the gauges tapped into the fuse in front of it is why I missed it when I was looking. But I think mine popped due to some wiring under the dash that was bare and touched ground..

Thanks guys...I'll look at those things this weekend. I checked the fuses, but I'll look more closely at the one listed.

The starter contacts did hang on it about 6 months ago; as a result, I replaced the starter, the fusible link, and fuel solenoid.

Mark, I may be messaging you on that PCM...

Thanks guys!

Back