Not shifting into overdrive right away when cold

talonkid119

Not Enough
The truck is a 1995 47rh trans. which i have went through and built.

I have been having some problems with my truck shifting into overdrive when cold. This morning on my way into work it took about 5 mins before she would shift into overdrive and i was going around 60-65 before it would shift. Now over the weekend when it was a little warmer it didnt have a problem. I have a Pot adjuster in the cab so im not using the tps anymore also i have a 1k resistor in the temp sensor for the tranny. Does the pcm take anyother inputs like the IAT sensor? maybe it has something to do with pressure in the tranny when cold? If anyone has any input that would be great thanks!

Usually fluid temperature will keep it from going to OD

If you have a resistor in-place of the temperature sensor, fluid temp should not affect overdrive.

Is your POT affected by outside temperature?

Try installing a toggle switch to manually command overdrive and see if it works all the time or if it has problems too.

Just to check, you did entirely disconnect the tranny temp sensor and wired in a 1k resistor to the factory harness, correct?

Yea i removed the trans temp sensor when i ran new transmission lines. I have the resistor going into the factory harness. The truck seemed fine driving it home from work today, I cleaned up where the resistor was maybe there was some moisture in there causing a bad connection. I am going to see how it goes in the morning on the way to work.

Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited:
Well i found out a little more on the situation. when it is cold it will still shift into overdrive but not until 65mph, and when warm 45mph. Is this normal? could i maybe have a leak somewhere internally where i dont have enough pressure and when it is getting hot it is expanding and increasing pressure? I was thinking maybe it had more to do with tv pressure and gov pressure.

Any other ideas would help, thanks

Good thread just bought a 95 with a 47rh and was wondering what the deal was with later shifts into od.

Must be a stock only thing because my dads tranny from source auto does not do that and its a 47rh.

Back