notching the crank

Drasko

So i was reading about the universal tach kit from fordcummins and i saw a little something about the 99-01 5.4/6.8 gas trucks needing a 4 pulse signal. They also said you could notch the crank. It cant be that easy for my conversion could it? Can i simply machine 3 more notches equally spaced with one on my stock 12v crank and make my tach work? I was going to buy a tach kit but if this is true, ill just do some quick work on the mill. Does anyone know if this is fact or done this with an ex gasser and it worked?

not totally sure yet, but for my 97 F250 with 12v I bought fordcummins tach sensor and bracket only, then I'm notching 2 more groves in my balancer that has 2 notches for a total of 4. Supposedly that will make my "gasser" tach work. I can let you know in about a month when the swap will be done :woohoo:

The previous owner added 2 grooves and it seems to work on mine.

The grooves do not need to be notched in the crank.....there are two in the stock Cummins balancer....add two more 90 degrees apart matching the stock ones...I'll send you a pic as soon as I reach 10 posts. Hope I helped

The grooves do not need to be notched in the crank.....there are two in the stock Cummins balancer....add two more 90 degrees apart matching the stock ones...I'll send you a pic as soon as I reach 10 posts. Hope I helped

Thats what the op, myself and the other guy are saying lol. But a picture will be nice, thanks

I machined 12 into a balancer once.

I poked a 12 bolt pattern into a bolt hole pattern calculator, played with the diameter until I cut .125 deep into the ring using a endmill around 2" diameter.

Found a random magnetic pickup I had laying around, made a bracket.

Works just fine.

Sh!t i forgot there were already 2 notches. Well off to mill the balancer. Im not needing any pics but thanks for the help. Now has anyone every tried using the stock cummins crank sensor and wiring it into the ford harness? its a 3 wire so i figure ground/hot/return voltage to computer?

So i was reading about the universal tach kit from fordcummins and i saw a little something about the 99-01 5.4/6.8 gas trucks needing a 4 pulse signal. They also said you could notch the crank. It cant be that easy for my conversion could it? Can i simply machine 3 more notches equally spaced with one on my stock 12v crank and make my tach work? I was going to buy a tach kit but if this is true, ill just do some quick work on the mill. Does anyone know if this is fact or done this with an ex gasser and it worked?

The previous owner added 2 grooves and it seems to work on mine.

It works, the tach does not read "exact" with either method.

Back