Noticed an issue with an injector

RyanMayo

So I'm checking my valve lash and noticed one of my injector solenoids is loose. The black plastic piece on top can turn slightly. The truck is running fine so it's going back together for now but I can't help but feel like it's something I should be concerned about. Anybody ever seen this before?

Yeah it shouldnt be loose, not to scare you but id run it till it either starts hard or throws a code. And them find a good injector and just swap nozzles.

I put it back together and have been driving it without issue. It's running really well actually.

I'm not an expert, nor do I want to bear bad news, but I lost 3 injector solenoids testing after I put nitrous on my race truck. One of them had popped that black plastic piece you're talking about up on one end and the o-ring was sticking out. $900 repair bill...

IMG_0821_zpsc36c3e75.jpg

IMG_0820_zps476dd2e7.jpg

IMG_0819_zpsab44ebe7.jpg

Last edited:
Weird... not sure I understand completely, but you're saying nitrous made that happen to an injector?

Sorry for the confusion. That actually happened before we even got to a stretch of road to hit the nitrous. Not entirely sure why they failed but it did leave me stranded 3 days before I had to be back from leave. Hopefully yours is nothing, I just mainly wanted to share the pics so you'd have something to compare to.

I have seen solenoids be loose to the touch and ohm out good, some ohm out bad, some come and go and make you pull your hair out when you ohm it and its fine.

CR From hell. I have seen them blow out like that, ussually the cause was a stopped off return port in the head.

Oh OK haha. That makes more sense.

Mine's nothing like that; it just turns a little bit when you tighten down the nuts. I only installed the injectors in march and I don't remember it being like that. I'll check it again in a couple of weeks, and if it hasn't gotten any worse I'm not going to touch it again.

Couple of mine did that after F1 rebuilt them sveral year ago. $700 additional repair bill

I have seen solenoids be loose to the touch and ohm out good, some ohm out bad, some come and go and make you pull your hair out when you ohm it and its fine.

CR From hell. I have seen them blow out like that, ussually the cause was a stopped off return port in the head.

Hmmm, the head was removed during that time to install a side mount intake, possibly debris left over from the machining :doh:

Back