nv 4500 will not go in reverse

monk07

who knows
i have a 95 dodge and it will not go in reverse can anyone tell me why this is?

Is it possible the syncro is bad? Does it grind when trying to put in?

no it just wont go in its just like you were going down the road trying to put it in reverse

Could be a draggin' pilot bearing, weak hyros, or sync going out. If all other gears are easy, especially getting into 1st gear from idle with truck stopped from everything spinning free in neutral....you reverse syncs are trashed. I had mine replaced in my 5600 at 30K miles under warranty. They litterally gave me a hand full of parts when they were done and said, "this was you syncs".

everything else is easy it did hang in 5th one time but i got it out and now it wont go in reverse

May sound stupid....but make sure the floor mat or anything else isn't under the pedal. A "tad" of travel on the stock hydros makes a difference. At least it did in my old '99 truck. 1st and Rev were a beotch.

shifter fork?

ya gotta drop it anyway, so drop it - take the top cover off and see what is out of place

You are probably screwed, but we used to shift to 5th, first, then reverse, helped it fall in. Don't know why.

For some reason on my truck I always have to run it into second before reverse. Putting new syncros in now, hopefully it'll help that out.

I bet it is a shift fork since yours won't even go in.

Last edited:
Back