Nv4500/ Dana80 3.31 gear ratio

joshcrimmins

Would you guys think that 3.31's would be too extreme for a 74 ford with a 5.9/nv4500? Looking for a cruiser for the most part but maybe tow a little. Engine will be modified but I'm not sure how extreme yet.

Thanks

I hate how far apart nv4500 is from 3rd to 4th, but if your not planning on towing a lot it will work.

Stock size tires, I would do it with no problem. Hell, I would do it and have no problem towing about 20K behind me. I had 3.55's and a 5 speed in my 95, and had her up over 50K gross a few times, and she'd still pull just fine at 70mph at 2K RPM.

Chris

Should be fine for driving, and like I said, depending on the setup of the truck, would still tow pretty decent.

Chris

My only question is what do you consider cruising speed? I looked at this on my reg cab short box but ended up staying with 3.55s. The reason I didn't go higher was that I don't personally drive overly fast and most of the miles I put on my truck are on 55-60mph roads. If I were driving mostly 65-75mph roads I would have put in 3.31 gears.

My tires are a little over an inch taller than yours, 285-75-16. I have 3.55's and really like it. I think you would probably like that setup, especially on the highway. With 3.31 gears you will turn 1675 rpm's at 65 mph in 5th. Mine does 1726 at 65. Works well for me towing my boat, but it depends on what you'll be doing. Seems to be a good rpm for mileage.
Here's a cool rpm calculator. The NV4500 has a .73 ratio 5th gear.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html

Last edited:
Back