NV4500 Drag Race Modifications

clarkoh

Has anyone been able to make an NV4500 live on the drag strip? Can they be modified for power shifting? Or, is a Lenco or Liberty a better bet for the stick shift drag racing?

I've seen a YouTube video showing how to modify one. It would let you upshift at WOT with no clutch. I've got a friend who drag races his nv5600 with no failures yet.

The fastest manual (last I looked) ran a ZF6 behind a duramax.

Drag race = auto. Unless you enjoy the challenge, but you will always be compared to the auto's. You can't do jack to strengthen 3rd gear.

I am trying to find the trans modification video. So far I have not been able to locate it. Do you remember the title or author?

:pop: watching this one. All I have in mine is the upgraded main shaft to fix 5th gear nut probs & is a bd short throw kit. 4th to 5th is a dream even without the clutch. The other gears not so much. & less smooth as gears are shifted down but, this rebuild has not been the best shifting trans that I've had to say the least. I think you would have to launch in 3rd & only shift twice to be competitive & that's where one problem comes in as was stated. I think a 5spd truck could be surprise some folks in the 1/8 if set up right.

Look up "dog ear transmission" and "slick shift transmissions" on Google. Good luck!

Start out in 4th and use a gear vendors under drive box. Launch in 4 under shift to 5th and then switch the GV to direct.

Back