NV4500 hard to get in reverse after clutch replacement

bluthndr

Put a South Bend DD clutch in and the truck goes into reverse HARD (requires lots of effort on shifter). Anyone else run into this?

I pulled the shifter mostly apart in the truck and it seemed to shift ok with engine off. Maybe it is just the inertia of the new clutch assembly???

We had the shifter off when the trans came out, maybe we didn't put it back right? I don't know because we did the shifter all by feel from underneath - I wouldn't know what it is "supposed to" look like apart as I never looked at it.

Other than the pressure on the shifter needed to select R, the truck seems otherwise fine for 10K or so now...

Yep. Both trucks I have had South Bend DD in were the same. Shift to 5th then straight down to reverse. Seems to make it easier for me.

I always shift into 4th before reverse. Its even worse with the short shifter in the dually. It feels like it only goes in half way, but its never popped out of gear. Deceiving, is all.

same here always 2nd then reverse short shift doesnt help, mine actually jumps/grinds into reverse if i dont do it

Yep. Both trucks I have had South Bend DD in were the same. Shift to 5th then straight down to reverse. Seems to make it easier for me.

Same here, I always shift into a forward gear before going into reverse

Curious if all DDs do it. No biggie. I didn't expect it to be same as stock. At least I didn't spend a day chasing the problem... Thanks for the replies!

Back