NV4500 Rebuild help

BigBlue12V

I've pulled the nv out of my 96 ram I've been driving for 3 years, now the engine and trans are going into my new project, a 2002 Excursion Limited. The trans has a lot of slop in the input shaft, about 6k miles ago I replaced the clutch and at same time replaced input shaft bearing and seal but couldn't get the rear input cage bearing soon enough to get truck back together. I believe that's part of reason for input slop returning. My 4th gear synchro is out. I am sure I can take the rebuild but without taking it apart I don't know what I need to replace besides bearings and synchros. I don't want to take it apart until I have parts here to reassemble it, in case I forget how it goes together, I don't have good memory. I don't want to spend tons of money replacing stuff that doesn't need replaced, I just need advice on how to tell if a gear is bad or not basically. I also don't know how to measure end play correctly. I know I need to order a rebuild manual for it probably first off, but what can I do in the meantime?
Also is quad 4x4 good to deal with? Seems last I can recall I heard mixed input about him. I believe he had good parts just difficult to deal with or back orders maybe. Can't recall.
Thanks for any help!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

deal with Zumbrota, never had a bad experience with them.

buy they manual and read, its not too long, and you will get the idea.

Ok thanks for the input. Never heard of them, I'll Google it. I just ordered the manual from quad 4x4..

You want to get the fully splined mainshaft and 5th gear nut fix. The manual should tell you everything you need to know. A dial indicator, lock ring pliers and a spanner wrench are all you need specialty tool wise. You want to be at the low end of the spec for end play. I'm not real sure about gears, but I would imagine wear and chipped teeth. Also, research which fluid you want to go with. people have different opinions on that, but I've heard many places ATF will kill syncros. I run AMSOIL in mine. Good luck!

I've always ran Amsoil 75/90 GL4 spec only. I havent popped the tail housing off yet to know which main shaft I have. The trans has been worked on before. I don't have a spanner wrench but good on the rest. I think chipped teeth are a no brainer but how much wear is acceptable?? How much is ok? How can anything get excessive slop or end play? Just bad bearings I guess?

I'm not sure on the wear. I'd guess the manual would specify how much play in the gears once assembled. I bought the online manual from quad 4x4 back when they had one. My hard drive went since so I don't have it. Bearing wear causes excessive end play. Be careful when dissembling because the struts and springs like to fly out when you're taking the gear selectors off. I just bought a spanner socket, cut the end off and welded a long piece of conduit to the side. The torque is ~170ft/lbs IIRC and that made it easier to tighten the 5th gear nut.

Cool thanks yea seems like he only offers hard copies now which is fine except the wait on shipping. $70 shipped ouch. Got rear housing off. Gears definitely look worn but nothing looks chipped too bad or trashed. Should be reusable for a while.

A hard copy is better IMO. The laptop had to be degreased after my rebuild lol.

I'm gonna tell ya from experience I've rebuilt my nv4500 twice n tried to just GET BY, by goin the cheap way that never works with these trans. Do a FULL rebuild gears,bearings , shifter forks , do it all n do the upgraded my shaft n ull be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back