NV4500 rebuild w/o 6444 puller

Cam73

Hey guys-
Ate the splines out of the 3-4 synchro inner hub and am looking to do a full rebuild, maybe cryo some parts and update the main shaft.

Has anyone successfully rebuilt this trans without investing as much in specialty tools as parts? The small hand tools are not a problem but the miller 6444 puller and jaws are $$ and is not available locally to rent. There is a large assortment of 2 and 3 jaw pullers/ bearing splitters to rent but nothing quite like the miller. How about the "modified" lock ring pliers from quad that are sold out?

Any tips for the rebuild? Parts to purchase or stay away from? Really important things not to F up? Thanks

Anyone?
Looking to start pulling things apart in the next few days here..
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iirc i just used a big flat head screwdriver for the large snap rings that are on the main shaft. if you have to use a puller i am sure any 2 or 3 jaw puller would work just fine from the parts stores

He was just telling me carnage stories last week however we did not talk about the cast iron housings...
Pulled it apart with a standard 3 jaw puller I had laying around. The main shaft broke at the 3-4 synchro hub. Ill post pictures when I'm not on my phone.

I saw something in the quad4x4 nv4500 manual I downloaded about some poor machine work on some of the cast iron housings floating around. Would be interested to know if the ones being sold these days are any better.

I havent broke the main shaft down yet. Think I'll wait till parts arrive, a little worried about getting it back together properly, haha.

I have one bought it last year and it has been problem free the previous owner twisted the slip yoke on the front driveshaft and caused all of my carnage.

Ahh what is with that reverse clutch hub lock ring??!! I got creative to the old one off but with out ordering a $90 set of enormous lock ring pliers I don't think I can keep assembling the mainshaft..that whole right tool for the job thing got me tonight :bang

i watched a friend of mine rebuild a zf 6 speed, he didnt have any special tools. he just picked up the mainshaft and kept hitting it on a piece of oak on the concrete floor. it let the weight of the gears press themselfs off the shaft. i have pulled a couple of nv4500 apart and i have no special tools.

I was able to find a loaner pair of lock ring pliers that did the trick.The new main shaft is not threaded in the end so I had to drop the assembly by the local shop for the rear bearing to be pressed on. They are also going to press both counter shaft bearings as well. The 3-4 hub was not really a press fit as indicated in the quad4x4 manual, just pushed it on by hand.

Currently trying to justify the cost of a dual disc clutch.

It just seems like a losing battle...
The Valair single was/is holding strong and it was an OEM main shaft that failed. Had the input shaft broke I'd be more inclined. The $1300+ might be better spent on improving drive-ability. Maybe gears or cam or replacing Rottin Rhondas beat down 370s I've been barrowing for 2 years, haha. Quite surprised as the truck lives a very easy life and I didn't quite think it was at the power ceiling for the nv4500.

Back