NV5600: Maybe Amsoil ins't the one?

4x4dually

Ok. Changed fluid when I put my SB clutch in a while back. I thought my synchronizers in 3rd were going out. I finally drove my truck on a road trip and then pulled by big trailer today. I noticed that after the long trip and the tranny finally got up to 200F (40F outside currently) it shifts normal and doesn't grind at all. When I drive in the mornings it grinds when everything is cold so I thought the synchs were going.

Are the sync actually bad or is it just this Amsoil doesn't perform worth a toss in the cold? I'm beginning to second guess my tranny fluid selection.

What are your opinions on Amsoil in the cold? Any one noticed this? Is there a better fluid that is proven? Someone in the cold states chime in and tell me I can change my fluid and fix my rough 2nd to 3rd shift! :rockwoot: It would sure beat tearing the tranny down! :D

(and I spelled isn't wrong...what a dunce) I can't edit it!!!

The 4500 and 5600 have plenty of issues no matter what lube you put in them.

Did you use the MTF Amsoil? Its designed to work at -40.

You may change to something else, and the problem could go away, but I would be suspect of the whether it was doing its job after it warmed up.
Try it, and let us know.

Wasn't there something about all NV4500 need an additional 1.5 quarts and the NV5600 need an additional 2 quarts over original specs.
Did you do that?

Mine does that too.

2nd and 3rd do it ,always, on NV5600s I thought I read somewhere.

Mopar fluid in mine, eventually it will be Amsoil though.

About half the time I use the clutch to shift, and about half the time I don't, the 2-3 shift only started grinding in my truck the last 20k or so.

i have redline MTL in the truck now, with the extra 1.5 qts like some recommend, then i stuck a bottle of the mopar limited slip friction modifier in the tranny.

when its really cold, like last night, its a little stiff on the shifts, but no grinds, after a few miles it loosens up and shifts great then.

another vote for redline mtl...made a world of difference. im in florida though its not very cold here...

It is Amsoil MTF and I did put the extra quart in. Never really shifted much different than it did with the stock fluid in after the first 90K. I was dissappointed after hearing how much better the shifting was supposed to be with the Amsoil.

I just think if it is warm and it shifts great the viscosity of the MTF is too thick in the cold to allow the synchs to move fast enough to really work....but them again I electrical, not mechanical so who knows.

I have to drive 100 miles for a band gig tonight so I'll see how it shifts when I leave and when I get there. I'm sure it will do the same thing. Grind when cold and then losen up to be normal. It sure makes it hard to drag race a Ford when I have to double clutch 3rd!!!! :D

My second 1997 5 speed ground from 2-3-on factory lube,from new. Until I replaced the synchro. Ran Amsoil after that for 100 K, never ground again. It may be damaged beyond oil fixing it.

The synchros are not real good in these trannys.Fast, slam shifting, or shifting without the clutch can burn them up.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I never used the clutch in my '99 NV4500 but then I had trouble and was told not to do that with these trannys. So, I use the clutch every time on this 6 speed, twice for 3rd gear! :D

If you start your truck to let it warm a bit before you leave, kick the tranfercase in neutral and leave your truck in 3rd or so to let the tranny spin to help it warm up....I do that on the real cold mornings here in MO while I'm letting the frost thaw on my windows and the dogs are taking their morning pee....Helps with the shifting first thing in the morning. I'm running Penzoil syncromesh with some LS friction modifier too, like getblown5.9. My 6th gear syncro is MIA though....so I can race to 5th gear, that 5-6 shift takes a second or two too long...

So, this friction modifier, something I should dump in the top? What does it do and what brands do I look for? Nice idea Jeremy. That would help her warm up....other than blowing black smoke for 2 miles... :hehe:

I read about the friction mod. thing in a LONG thread on this very subject over on TDR, I'll look and see if I can find it...its alot of discussion on the 5600, syncros, fluids, etc....A good read if you have time.

Thanks for the TDR link. Same as here, you have to wad through all the 'weeds' to get to the info, but good reading anyway. Everything is frozen over here so what the heck else do I have to do? :D

I saw where Jason posted he was using the Lucas additive. I PMed him and maybe he'll update us with his results. I think I'll try something like this. It can't hurt. It has been 27F for three days and this double clutchin' had got to go....as fate would have it my left ankle would be the one that likes to pop.

Can someone summarize the posts from TDR, so I don't have to read them? :)

hmmm, figured I'd update that thread with useful info and failed to do so.

I ended up with 1/2 bottle of limited slip friction modifier (napa stuff). I changed the fluid out to install a tranny temp gauge after shifting got a little worse. Like the fluid "broke down" as many of you may notice.

So I did the same again since the initial install of the lucas was good. This time around for some reason shifting wasn't right. Even in the warmer months.

Shortly there after I decided to try the friction modifier and things have been consistent and good.

I did flush the tranny with stock, cheap OEM tranny gear oil from pensoil for 100 miles prior to re-filling with amsoil, or make sure I got all that lucas crap out.

Winter driving has been a dream, It's never been so easy to row the gears when it's 0 degrees out! I do warm the tranny up a little by tossing the transfer case in N and row the gears quickly.

Tranny temps are 100 degrees above ambient after 1 hour of highway driving over 60mph, or a few hours of stop and go city stuff. Unloaded. So in the winter time as you may figure, my tranny gauge doesn't move much :)

Back