NV5600 to Auto

MCummings

It's my name ^
I want to convert to an auto.

1998.5 3500 2wd 500rwhp/1000rwtq (700rwtq from 1,400 - 2,500rpm) I can hit 30Lbs of boost by 1,400RPM, and run about 50Lbs boost wot at 2,200rpm.

We use the truck to occasional race, but more often than not, we are either empty commuting around town or, on the highway and on the ranch towing our trailer that cannot weight any less then 19,000Lbs, and can weigh as much as 28,000Lbs.

We chipped a tooth on our 5 speed, then went with the 6 speed, but 4 6-speeds later, I'm ready to try out an auto.

What all do I need? I don't mind running a full manual shift 48re. I'm kinda sneaking a peak around the Allison 1000's also. Money is an object here. I'm looking at spending $3k to rebuild my 6-speed, so my auto swap has to cost less than that...

Thanks for any help.

Merrick

(PS, all that's wrong with my nv5600 is that I can't engage 5th and 6th gear, eveything else works perfect)

Find someone that wants to go trhe other way and have a swap party!! Wifes can be invited!:hehe::hehe: I know somebody in CA that wants to do that! The tranny I mean!:poke:

it's gonna cost $3k to replace a shift fork? :eek:

I'd fix your truck and get it back on the road, and you'll get more money out of your current setup.

I'd do a manual 47RH, it'll be cheapest/easiest

i have an 02 auto that im wanting to convert to a NV5600. we could work out something.

And I was thinking the same thing, why $3k? I'd fix what you have. a $3k auto isn't gonna like your driving...

I bet he doesn't want a Tranny at that kind of swap party! :umno:
Don't assume/judge. That may be Merreck's thingLOL

Last edited:
it's gonna cost $3k to replace a shift fork? :eek:

I'd fix your truck and get it back on the road, and you'll get more money out of your current setup.

I'd do a manual 47RH, it'll be cheapest/easiest

After 4 NV5600's, I just don't think I want to go that way again.... I've already fixed it, and got back on the road , 4 times already. Do I just do it again? This last trans didn't last 2 yrs. Even if the Auto last 2 yrs, I can put new clutches in it myself, and have the converter warrantied, and not have to rebuild another NV5600, which nobody in my town can do.

As far as the swap, with 47RH, I need an auto APPS. What else. I'm kinda up in the air to have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd auto shifted, or manually shifted. No doubt, the TCC and O.D. will be shifted manually.

If I manually shift it, it's gonna be a ratchet shifter mounted on the floor.

I'd love a reverse shift manual VB, but, how to get the TCC, and O.D. to shift when I want? I don't exactly want to run an auto ECM...

Do I need a different length driveshaft on my 2wd? Crossmember?

Merrick

no, my point is, it's not going to cost $3k to fix a shift fork... fix your current tranny, get it running/driving in the truck, don't tear it up (we all know how good you are at tearing stuff up!) and it will be worth a lot more than it is in an unknown/busted state.

someone can test drive it and buy the entire setup from you, and you can get a lot more money out of it

Well, If you are ever in southwest Missouri I'll trade you my built 47re. But I'm damn sure not driving to Laredo for a tranny swap. Since I tow, I cant get in a good rpm range with an auto and with the added clutches, it takes alot of skinny pedal and black smoke to get her to shift down.

no, my point is, it's not going to cost $3k to fix a shift fork... fix your current tranny, get it running/driving in the truck, don't tear it up (we all know how good you are at tearing stuff up!) and it will be worth a lot more than it is in an unknown/busted state.

someone can test drive it and buy the entire setup from you, and you can get a lot more money out of it

Long story short, this tranny was tanken care of better than the rest.. Maybe I should go back to hammering on them.....

I have a feeling it's more than a fork... it wore out in 500 miles... Shifted fine leaving the house, at the 120 mile mark, it started dropping out of 5th gear on decel, but with light pressure holding it in gear, it would stay, at the 240 mile mark it started popping out of gear during loaded accel, then, it just wouldn't go into 5th at all around the 300 mile mark. Around the 350 mile mark, 6th gear faded away the same way until the 500 mile mark when it wouldn't get 5th or 6th anymore.

A tranny guy told me it could be the synchronizer stack wore out and flattened up against the gear.... or something along those lines.. I didn't write down what he said.

I've been asking $7,000 for this truck, and no takers. The interior is used up. Could benefit from alot of TLC, but all the go fast and pulling aprts are there for a good highway hauler.. Just hard to sell a VP44, 53 block, 2wd, flatbed with go fast parts....

When I went to the nv5600, I didn't have to change driveshaft lengths. Will I have to with an Auto?

Forrest, I hear you, but, I really think I'm just putting to much power through these trans with to much weight. I could repair it, but man, spend money just to get back to where I was? That's just not my style...

Merrick

Well, If you are ever in southwest Missouri I'll trade you my built 47re. But I'm damn sure not driving to Laredo for a tranny swap. Since I tow, I cant get in a good rpm range with an auto and with the added clutches, it takes alot of skinny pedal and black smoke to get her to shift down.

How built is this tranny?

Merrick

you're talking about a $7k asking price and 3-4k in repairs.... I'd put it on CL for $4k and take what you can get

move on!

Long story short, this tranny was tanken care of better than the rest.. Maybe I should go back to hammering on them.....

I have a feeling it's more than a fork... it wore out in 500 miles... Shifted fine leaving the house, at the 120 mile mark, it started dropping out of 5th gear on decel, but with light pressure holding it in gear, it would stay, at the 240 mile mark it started popping out of gear during loaded accel, then, it just wouldn't go into 5th at all around the 300 mile mark. Around the 350 mile mark, 6th gear faded away the same way until the 500 mile mark when it wouldn't get 5th or 6th anymore.

A tranny guy told me it could be the synchronizer stack wore out and flattened up against the gear.... or something along those lines.. I didn't write down what he said.

I've been asking $7,000 for this truck, and no takers. The interior is used up. Could benefit from alot of TLC, but all the go fast and pulling aprts are there for a good highway hauler.. Just hard to sell a VP44, 53 block, 2wd, flatbed with go fast parts....

When I went to the nv5600, I didn't have to change driveshaft lengths. Will I have to with an Auto?

Forrest, I hear you, but, I really think I'm just putting to much power through these trans with to much weight. I could repair it, but man, spend money just to get back to where I was? That's just not my style...

Merrick

Well I consider it built. It has a $1800 dollar buckeye converter, custom Transgo shift kit, deep pan, the builder has the equipment to make his own clutches so he added as many as possible to drive and overdrive and I think reverse, brand new tranny lines, every internal is new and I think thats it. I have a reciept somewhere. After picking it up I beat around in it and then pulled my 14k fifth wheel 1000 miles and got to Missouri and had a freak accident. I was driving around empty and as I was accelerating I hit a bump and it bounced my truck and stripped the input shaft. The guy warranted it and had a tranny shop here in missouri fix it. These guys said it looked brand new with no miles. To me thats pretty good!

Wow, that's amazing... take a heck of a pothole to strip an input shaft! :what:

Well, I was at low rpm getting into it so all I can think of is that I was around peak torque and high boost. I guess it would compare to a boosted launch. And I never said it was a pothole, it was a bump coming over a bridge.

I stand corrected...

Wow, that's amazing - take a heck of a bridge bump to strip an input shaft! :what:

Just a heads up new guy, if it aint got billet, it aint built!

And that must have been some bridge bump! The state really should get that fixed before it kills someone...

It's happened plenty of times before.

Funny how back in the day when a pioneer in performance stripped his input shaft hitting a bump coming over a bridge everybody was amazed and in a rush to find a solution, and now, seems like it's just a race to name calling and sarcasm...

I'm on the phone today to fix my 6-speed. I'll update soon...

Merrick

Back