ODL Dana 70 front

Airman82

Hello all, I am searching for a dana 70 front axle for an ODL 3.6 Fummins that my cousin and I are building. I am told this is a solid front end to run and that they can be found in 1960-1970s dodge and international harvester trucks. I am looking for some input on this front axle and also where I may be able to find one. I am from Missouri but currently serving in the Air Force and stationed in Massachusetts

Finding that is going to be pretty difficult. You can buy a kit to put D70 internals in a D60 housing. This will be your best bet.

I have one of them from a 1973 SRW Dodge W-300.
It is 4.10 gears, DRUM BRAKES and closed knuckle.
It also has a 4" tube, which is very thick steel.

Mark.

Thanks. I would prefer to find something in the Northeast that I can build up while living in this area and then bring with me when I return home. I am very limited on space where I am but I need a project to keep me occupied so I think buying an axle and going through it would be perfect. I don't imagine finding one in New England will be all that easy though, so I will keep you in mind.

get an hp d60 out of a 78ish f 350(king pin) or out of an obs ford 350(ball joint)

Are the 60 fronts comparable in strength? I have heard a rumor that there is a junkyard somewhere in Central Massachusetts with hundreds of international harvesters, I am trying to find more information about it.

Anything can be made stronger with boxes of dollars (or boxes that cost dollars), just depends on the route you take.
Personally, I wouldn't spend the coin some people think a 1978-1979 KP Ford HP 60 is worth, but that's me, plus they are on the wrong side for some Dodges or Chevies, anyway.

As if stock locations matter in these trucks. LOL

Mark.

Last edited:
Yes I have seen HP Dana 60 bring huge money. I should have specified that this has a drop box and reverser so we are looking for a pass side differential because that's what the truck is currently set up for. The Dana 70 seems like the best route because of strength and relatively low cost but finding one is a bit difficult. I am also looking for information on truck pulling in New England so I can attend events and talk with some people. Again, I just moved to this area a month ago so I am looking for truck pulling related things to do in my spare time

When built right the factory dodge Dana 60 can hold a lot of power. There are several guys still running them at 1800+ horsepower with cut tires. I'd probably rather have a Dana 60 in one than a 70 just because of parts availability.

Last edited:
There is a guy in Central Mass with LOTS of international harvesters and I know that he has multiple 70 fronts. I can get you his information if you're serious. Just PM me. As for running a 70 over a 60 front I can't say which one would be stronger but I have to agree with Josh that it's far easier to get parts for a 60

I found 2 D-70 front axles priced at $700 or more.
I want $500 for mine and shipping will LIKELY be under $200.

If you feel you want to run a 70, give my pricing some thought.

FWIW, in the eventual near future, I plan to go retrieve a truck in Pittsburg, PA but my trip has been on hold due to a combination of weather and lack of a forklift to load heavy, bulky parts.

Mark.

Mark Nixon, that is a good price so I will be in touch in the near future. I don't believe everything I hear and I'm sure stories get blown up but from a few people I'm talking with, the guy in MA with the Internationals is an ex green beret or something of that sort with extreme paranoia and he can be extremely difficult to deal with....I think I'm good.

Yeah I would totally buy the one from Mark if that's the case, good price too. I don't the people all that well but if I had to bet, I'd say he served in 1st Ranger Battalion for about 7 years, went through the Special Forces selection course, passed all the requirements to become a Green Beret and then got injured weeks before graduation and was retired from the army because of it. And whoever you are hearing your stories from like to tell tall tails. Just my honest opinion ��

Meh, don't believe all the hype/rumors until you actually have a problem with him yourself.
You might be surprised.

I've been accused of being somewhat "off", myself. LOL
It mostly comes from people locally, who don't understand that I price right and I'm usually pretty firm on it, which, I guess, makes me "hard to deal with". :D

Mark.

Ryan B out of the land of Canadia built a D80 front steer axle for his puller a few years ago. I am sure he will chime in here eventually with some info also.

Just install a d80 center section on a d60 front axle. You can still use d60 35spline inner axles if you make the tubes the correct length.

I'll go out on a rotten, fractured limb, here, but I'm thinking he doesn't want to have 2 or 3k into an axle.
A nice option would be a 70 front with the 60 kingpin housing ends and brakes, possibly with upgraded axles.
Also, even the closed knuckle 70 isn't as hard to find parts for as is being made out, the gear options are as much as a 60 or an 80 and carrier choices are equally as many.

I have no care whether it stays or leaves, been here for 3+ years already and it doesn't cost me a thing to leave it sit here.

Mark.

Not sure how welding a d80 center on a d60 makes it cost 2-3k. D80 gears would be a better choice than d70 gears.

Right.
If he's using leaf springs in the front, machining the 80 housing to make the passenger's side spring clear on a leaf spring truck is free.

Mark.

Back