odometer rollback problem?!!!

Smokin02

cummins powered
ok so i wasnt really sure exactly where to post this at so if its in the wrong section then sorry guys. But anyways im lookin at an 03 dmax thats got 110,000 miles on it and the truck is exactly what im lookin for. The only problem is that i turned the vin number into my bank for the carfax and everythin checked out fine except for one thing. The carfax shows that there was a possible odometer rollback in Dec. of 2002. The truck manufacturin date is Oct. of 2002. I notified the seller of this and he said that when he purchased the truck a year ago that his carfax didnt show that when he bought it. So he called the dealer and had them run the vin and everythin checked out fine, so i called my bank and they ran it again and it still showed the same possible odometer rollback. My question is was their any type of recall on these trucks that would of caused this as far as possibly the guage cluster failing and having to replace a new one. Like i said its showing the possible rollback happenin in Dec. of 2002 and the trucks manufacturin date is Oct. of 2002 so the truck was only at most off the lot for two months. Any info would be greatly appreciated cause the truck is everythin that im lookin for but bank wont loan until they have some evidence that it wasnt rolled back. Thanks

most likely it wasn't sold before nov/ dec. Cluster failure is a possibility but it would be documented. The VIN check will have a sold date, along with the miles when sold. That will tell you when it happened in relation to the discrepancy

sometimes what can happen is the vehicle will be sold with say 500 miles on it... the buyer puts a couple thousand miles on it over the next couple months and maybe they take it in for service or something and the mileage is recorded... THEN, after the dealer drags ass for 30 days filing the registration paperwork and the state drags ass for another couple weeks, the actual registration event is recorded with 500 miles, and boom, you've got a possible mileage discrepency

Take it to a dealer and have them document the milage out of teh ECM, BCM, and airbag module and verify tha they all correspond with each other. Being an 03 there is a GOOD chance teh cluster has been replaced though.

ok so just talked to the bank again and the way i understood it is that the original owner bought it in nov. of 02 and the mileage discrepency was dec. of 02 so it happened a month apart. Also from what i understand the whole possible odometer rollback happened at the dealership. So could that mean that the owner took it in for a scheduled maintenence routine and the dealer just dragged ass like forrest stated earlier. It just seems funny to me that the odometer rollback happened a month after the truck was bought and all the maintenance records check out and the original owner kept the truck another four years before selling it.

guarantee it went back to the dealer for something... ANYTHING... and the mileage was entered into the computer. Then when the purchase paperwork hit the state, it had the original, lower mileage from the purchase date, and that was entered.

If it was a discrepancy 4yrs down the road and somebody tried to shave 100k off of it? ok, totally different story! but it's painfully obvious what happened in this instance

Some dealers will hold off sending in the paperwork for as long as possible so they can keep your money in thier account drawing interest instead of paying the OEM if the vehicle was floorplanned. I used to work for a Polaris dealer that would do that until they got audited by Polaris.:badidea:

well just got in touch with the dealer that the truck was originally sold at and they have all records of the truck and and every recorded mileage for each time it was brought to them. Yet bank still wont loan on it......now what to do? lol

My question is why does your bank say there is a problem, but the seller's bank says their carfax doesn't show it? Any chance someone flipped a character on the VIN somewhere along the way thats getting it messed up?

thats the problem my bank is a credit union and they,ll loan me more money then any other bank in town so far. Any other possible suggestions?! Really wantin this truck thanks for all the feedback by the way

Try Pentagon Federal Credit Union or USAA Credit Union. I have found the most leniency with these two when financing used vehicles.

My used car loan is 1.99% for four years on 10 yr old truck with just under 100k miles. Faaaarrrr better than any local bank or credit union would even consider. Most wouldn't even touch the loan without doing it as a personal loan from 10-15% interest.

Find another truck! Always keep in mind that once you buy a truck you'll find a better/sweeter deal within the following week and you'll kick yourself in the ass...look around for an '06-'07 LBZ! They ride better, have less engine/fuel system problems and a newer truck will last you longer! Also the bank will be more willing to lend you money on a vehicle less than 5yrs old!

Due to early MY releases '02 trucks are now 10yrs old and as of 8-1-12, '03 trucks will be 10yrs old.

Last edited:
thats the problem my bank is a credit union and they,ll loan me more money then any other bank in town so far. Any other possible suggestions?! Really wantin this truck thanks for all the feedback by the way

You need to flat out tell them, you are buying that particular truck, the truck DOES NOT have an odometer discrepency. Then ask them what needs to happen because they are obviously being unreasonable.

Its not rocket science, GM has the documentation to prove the the truck does not have an odometer discrepancy withitn the time period the carfax alleges. Just the fact that the odometer discrepancy occured a month after the in service date should be a red flag to the bozo at the credit union.

Or maybe someone else here knows how to contact carfax and get them to ammend/reevaluate there findings?

well the only way ive found to contact carfax is through email does anyone know how to get in touch with them by phone?

Back