Oil pan removal

rbell

Buddy of mine has to remove someones oil pan from a 99 for some reason. He was wondering if you can remove the pan without removing the engine. Could someone please provide some info on this job? A simple procedure would be great...Thanks in advance for your help.>ROB

The pan can come off the truck without pulling the motor, I know of folks who have done it, but I personally have not (yet, gotta get that oil leak fixed..maybe next month LOL ).

IIRC, you still have to yank the bolts out of the motor mounts and pull the motor up a bit for the pan clear.

Yeah loosen your motor mount bolts and jack the engine up some to get enough clearance to pull it out, Have to do the same thing to do a Cam swap in a CR unless you wanna cut the front cross member.

Thanks for the information everyone, I'll pass this on tonight. ROB

ALSO...
You may have to remove the valve cover or covers to allow enough distance for the motor to come up to have the pan clear the crank and crossmember.

When mine was changed on my 12v they removed all the valve covers so the clearance was high enough to get the pan off and remove the old gasket.You also will have to remove the fan shroud off the radiator and lay it on the fan assembly along with removing the top radiator hose........Andy

Andy,
Thanks for the info on the covers. The truck doesn't come in until next week so at least with this information hel'll have a good start. Have a good hump day..ROB

Back