Oil Pan Rusted through

junk94

Had Dad's truck in the air yesterday chaning fluilds and noticed a patch job on the pan. :bang I could not leave it alone, and after picking at it for a short time there were two holes. I got the holes fixed but who knows where the next one might come through at, luckly enough I was able to get to these.

Can I get the pan off without picking the cab? Anyone make an aftermarket pan or are we about to get bent over?

I think you can get the pan off, with the engine still in the truck.. You'll prolly justy have to unbolt the motor mounts and lift the engine a Bit, so it can clear the Mains and the Crossmember.. As for going to the dealer for a new pan.. i don't expect it too be cheap

their is no way if your 7.3 is turbocharger (i don't know what year your dads truck is) you will have to pull the engine. their just is not enough room between engine and fire wall to jack it up and pull the pan. also is yours an auto or std, 4x4??????

Like he said above.. You must pull the engine to remove the oil pan.No ifs ands or buts about it..You wont get the engine up high enough to clear the oil pick-up tube..

Its a 03 Auto 4x4, Crew Cab, 7.3 truck. With 110,000 miles on it, this is SAD

That is not what I really wanted to hear.

Can we lift the cab with the lift and try to pick the motor up with the picker and get enough room? I really dont want to have to pull the motor all the way out. The part that makes me mad is he bought it 3mths ago, and the guy said yeah I just changed the oil so I know he saw it, but Dad never crawled under it to look. :doh:

Your best bet would be to pull the engine ratrher that trying to pull the cab off the truck.

The pan can be removed with the engine in. Unbolt the mounts, lift engine, unbolt pan, unbolt pickup tube, fight pan out.

It can be done, no its not fun.

With all the Powerstrokes keeling over, there should be plenty of donor motors available online to steal an oil pan off of. Hell, might as well sell what parts you can before you anchor your boat with one. LOL I'd check Ebay.

With all the Powerstrokes keeling over, there should be plenty of donor motors available online to steal an oil pan off of. Hell, might as well sell what parts you can before you anchor your boat with one. LOL I'd check Ebay.

Who said it was dead? :blahblah1: She just has a small bullet hole. Guess you are used to sending the Dodge's to the scrapyard when they break huh

Guess its time to start looking for a pan and all the fun this is going to be. One thing for sure, I will update just how big of a pain it is when we get it changed.

It would be easier to just pull the motor. You can do it without pulling it completely out. But the time it would take you to get the pan off the block with the International Grey they use to put it on. You could already have the motor out, pan off and fixed. Be sure to use Grey on the pan when you put it back in too. And alot of it.

Who said it was dead? :blahblah1: She just has a small bullet hole. Guess you are used to sending the Dodge's to the scrapyard when they break huh

Guess its time to start looking for a pan and all the fun this is going to be. One thing for sure, I will update just how big of a pain it is when we get it changed.

I meant there are plenty of dead ones out there YOU could get parts from. A used pan would work just fine and would save you some money.

Relax...:shake:

p.s. i already know that it is a pain in the ass to remove the engine. it comes out easy and goes in hard

I meant there are plenty of dead ones out there YOU could get parts from. A used pan would work just fine and would save you some money.

Relax...:shake:

You must have finally found the beaten path, your in :ford: country

Some take it to heart, I just stir more **** and keep laughing:Cheer:

yes like said you need to pull the motor and flip it over on a motor stand so the RTV can set up... you can have the motor out in less than 2hrs tho with air tools!

You must have finally found the beaten path, your in :ford: country

Some take it to heart, I just stir more **** and keep laughing:Cheer:

I thought I was on the beaten path by saying a powerstroke made a better boat anchor? :what:

bif :hehe:

Yep, like most have said, HAVE TO pull the motor. I found this out the hard way when the o-ring on the inside of the pan off the dip-stick-tube-assembly-mount-whatca-ma-call-it went bad. Went to replace it and dropped the assembly into the pan

:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

Back