Oil pressure

JCW

I'm sorta new to the diesel world have 99 cummins 24v the other day I was ridin down the road and oil gauge dropped to zero. I shut off pulled it home didn't want risk hurting motor. So I hooked a mechanical oil pressure guage to top oil filter housing and had 60lbs. So then i bought a oil pressure switch from dealer was 185$ installed it and guage still said zero. What else could be? Plug looked good and wires as well.Any help is greatly appreciated

You need an oil pressure sensor. Unless you said switch and meant sensor. Gauge could be bad as well. You could find a gauge in a part yard and get it for cheap to verify you are getting voltage through your harness. If the junkyard gauge works, just R/R it with the defective gauge in the truck.

Yeah it was on the left side of block under fuel filter housing took 1 1/16 socket. When u say guage u mean the whole cluster?

Last nite started truck ran for about 15 min guage started workin and never messed up this mornin on way to work

Intermittent problems are always the worst. You may have a wire shorting out or open, and yes, the sensor by the fuel filter is the right one. I had to replace the one on my 05 as well. And for future reference, it is very very seldom that you have an oil pump failure on a 5.9L. Not saying it won't happen, but very rare. If it does it again, check the oil level, and if it's good, you should be. I know on the common rails, the oil pressure isn't even an accurate reading anyway. It's a curve built into the ECM. Evidently, 60+ psi of oil pressure freaked customers out.

Last edited:
Back