Oil Presure at Idle and Compunds

turboman1

Once the truck gets up to operating temperature when it returns to idle the oil pressure will "bobble" at the min oil pressure line. It never does this when it is cold and/or while coming up to operating temperature. When it does this I give it just a little rpm at idle (~900 rpm) and it stablizes it from bobbling.

Anyone else have this sort of problem when running compounds?

The oil pump is from a 24v, which I was told flows more than the 12v pump. Also the truck has no blowby or white smoke coming from the breathers when cold, once it gets really warm (after a couple full throttle runs) it will start have white smoke come out of the breathers.

Is it possible that one of the turbos is "supper heating" the oil and turning it into the viscosity of water so to say?

When I was trying to run super low idle on my 12V (~500rpm), it would do that, so I upped the idle slightly and it went away. I think that's your easy fix.

Also, are you sure you have the appropriate restrictors on your turbo oil inlets?

Are you sure? It looks like Will measured them pretty well and making it fit takes away most of the advantage. It has a different gear so it will always spin slightly faster.

Maybe his pump is just worn out a bit and could stand to be replaced.

OP read through this page:
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59175&page=76

Pretty darn.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120582&highlight=oil+pressure+issues

That was my first one. Done many pumps since then, for 12, 24, and CR engines.

Thanks for the replies guys, I read thru both both links and think I might try adjusting the spring force on the oil bypass like Will did in his thread before I try the 8.3 pump. The oil pump I put on was brand new 24V pump and only has about 10,000 miles on it. However, it had this problem from day one. Seems odd that some people are able to run triples and I have never seen any threads of them complaining about oil pressure issues (Maybe I missed it if they are putting a different oiling setup on them though).

With that said does anybody know the place and PN of the spring to buy that goes inside the stock oil bypass spring?

Thanks
Adam

Back