Oil pump flow

little6cylinder

Everything is "fixable"
Just wondering if anyone has checked oil pump output with a flow meter at x rpm's in a 12 valve or a 24 valve. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

I have a 96 parts book and it says Pump flow rate(GPM@RPM): 20.5@2400

I believe it is just the 24v HO engines that have a higher volume pump, or so I've been told

I've heard at least 1 of the 24V oil pumps flow more then the 12V pumps. But never flow numbers.

Is there any chance you are able to disassemble the pump and grind any imperfections to reduce the hp used to turn the pump and see if there are any flow improvements as well?

I was going to do that. Along with smooth out some of the areas with casting flaws but decided to go to a different oiling system instead. Just looking for a baseline.

The part number is for a 06 common rail dodge. I couldn’t find specs in any service literature but the parts catalog shows this.. I think they actually flow the same but the physical body is different. Let me see what I can find for a 12v oil pump.

part# 3930337 oil pump for a 1997 dodge 12v flows numbers are identical.

-took me a min to remember how to insert images.. lol

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
So according to quickserve it's measured at 4200rpms. Does your book actually say it flows that at 2400 or did you misread it?

2400rpm must be correct numbers, because good old 12V was not designed to rotate more than 3000rmp

2400rpm must be correct numbers, because good old 12V was not designed to rotate more than 3000rmp

Yes I know that but HeTheAethyr! Posted the picture from quick serve and it shows the flow is at 4200RPMs but I don't know if that's oil pump RPM'S or engine RPM's.

Agreed, but that oil pump is "Over-Driven" from the crank gear due to gear ratios.
So would it make since to say if the engine is spinning 3000rpm's, would the oil pump be spinning 4200rpms?

Given how Cummins organizes its data, I would say the listed rpms on that page in Quickserve are of the oil pump not the engine.

And here is an interesting info I picked up..
When the dodge ISB 5.9 was built at the factory they balanced the rotating assembly to 4800rpms. We all know when the factory governor kicks in..

I still would be intrested in what your Factory Manual says tho.

Then they go and rate a 8.3 pump 27.5@ 2400. So is it a typo or pump speed?

Then they go and rate a 8.3 pump 27.5@ 2400. So is it a typo or pump speed?

Quickserve has wronged me in the past, especially on old engines.

I searched industrial and automotive ESN's with 4 different revisions to the part number and this is all I could for that part number:
27.5GPM@2200RPMS..

Go Figure huh?

The other numbers where T.B.D.@T.B.D. (To Be Determined)

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
Back