Oil Restrictors?

seeker1056

gear head
I have searched but cant seem to find any info on oil line restrictors for turbochargers.

Does anyone use them in a performance application, and if so , what is the orifice size commonly used?

I currently do not run one, but with my newly modified oil supply capable of 80 # oil pressure I am worried about killin the turbo seals.

Thoughts or suggestions?

I believe some bb turbos already have the restricter on them from the factory. It would be good to talk to whoever built your charger before putting one on.
What Turbo do you run now?
from phone

Last edited:
I believe some bb turbos already have the restricter on them from the factory. It would be good to talk to whoever built your charger before putting one on.
What Turbo do you run now?
from phone

Garrett BB turbos have a built in restrictors. The Powermax kit comes with an additional restrictor that mates to the factory feed line. That being said, I run a -4 feed line to my GTX42 without any additional restriction, no oil coming through the seals. Same as the GT42 before it.

I had to make a oil restrictor for my GT37. Previous owner must have lost it I guess, put a few parts together. Made it work. Not the prettiest, but better than just letting it see full oil pressure I guess. Not sure it would have made that big of a difference, but better to be safe than sorry. Few thousand miles on it now, still seems alright.

The the turbo I use on my 3406 has the same center section as the 480, my feed line is a 1/2" I.D. and my engine runs 70psi. No problems yet, and I don't foresee any.

2mm is what should be used.
Flow is more important than pressure.

According to whom? (In reference to the 2mm statement)
2mm orifice for Ball Bearing?

My new turbos (Borg Warner K27.2 over K16 on a 4bt.) are leaking oil past the shaft seals after about an hour of runtime, so I researched as best as possible.....

I called around recently for info on this topic.....
Called:
- the local Injection/Turbo shop (Metro Fuel Injection, Allentown, pa)
- Blouch Turbo

Both stated journal bearing turbos are fine at engine oil pressure with no restrictor....FWIW

Consensus was that you cant over oil a journal turbo, but you can easily under drain it.

I have I believe -6 feeds on both chargers with two -10 drains feeding to a t onto a single -14 to the pan. I believe the "T is causing oil to back up past shaft seals......

From turbonetics website

"The turbocharger seals located at the compressor and turbine ends of the turbocharger have a primary purpose to keep pressurized air/exhaust gases from entering the turbocharger and then the crankcase. The fact that they also help control oil from entering the compressor and turbine housings is secondary. The oil entering the turbocharger is pressure fed from the engine but relies on gravity to return it back to the engine. Any restrictions in the oil drain will cause the oil to backup inside the turbocharger and be forced past the seals so it’s very important the oil returning from the turbocharger to the engine is free flowing with no restrictions. It is also important that the oil enters the crankcase above the oil level. Oil leakage from the turbocharger seals can be caused from and number of conditions, below are the most common. 1.Excess engine cranks case pressure A.due to poor crankcase ventilation like a plugged or improperly working PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system or an open port from the intake manifold to the crankcase. B.Excessive engine blow by due to worn engine components 2.Too small of an oil return line, preferably ¾” to 1” minimum inside diameter 3.Oil return line routing is critical, there can be no sinks/traps and oil must return above the oil level in the crankcase. 4.Blocked oil drain at turbocharger or crankcase caused by incorrectly installed oil drain gasket or excessive use of silicone gasket material protruding into the oil drain flow path. 5.Air filter restrictions (too small or dirty) will cause a restriction and contibutesto excessive amount of vacuum on the compressor end seal causing oil to be drawn past the seals."

Unrelated but related......Drains are almost more important than feeds. It seems easier to puke oil being under-drained than overfed on a turbo.....

According to whom?
dot.etec.wwu.edu/fase/HostedPics/Turbo/IHI RHB5 turbo/oil orifice and leakage inside turbo.pdf
IHI

2mm orifice for Ball Bearing?
Journal bearings.

Consensus was that you cant over oil a journal turbo, but you can easily under drain it.
Its not about lubrication, its about leakage. Excessive flow will cause oil leakage past the shaft seals.

From turbonetics website
Turbonetics is the worst possible source for information and turbo parts.

It seems easier to puke oil being under-drained than overfed on a turbo
Correct. Crankcase pressure plays a large role in it as well.

Flow is a function of orifice size, pressure, viscosity.... so a 2mm orifice at what pressure?

Turbonetics does indeed blow on all fronts.

I'm trying to put my chargers back on one last time, reworking my drains, and any feed issues at the same time......

Back