oil system priming

05STROKER

SuperStroker
doing a rebuild on my motor and need a way to prime the whole oil system before startup.. anybody have any ideas on how to do it? 05 6.0L

the best and only way i know of is to remove the allen plug in the oil rails and crank engine until you get oil out. i do this with the engine still out of the truck and it will fire right up real quick. it can take a long time if you don't do this because the oil is dead headed.

well i have the bulletproof diesel oil cooler upgrade so i have gallons and gallons of oil to prime, dont wanna score up the cylinder walls, i was hoping someone knew of some kind of hand pump or electric pump (fuel pump?) that i could use to fill the system with?

I used a simple cheap pump-up garden sprayer from Lowes.
Just used clear tubing instead of the wand, which attached to the pickup nub just fine, and a threaded fitting for the oil galley plug. Put in 4qt to start, pumped up the airpressure, and let it go to work. It was a bit slow, but worked very well pushing 15w40. Cost me all of $20.

Only thing I think I wouldve done different was add a valve of some type in the tubing, so I could turn it off if I wanted. Probably could've just used the wand and put the clear tubing on the end of it.

It also worked well for putting fluid into the transfer case and front diff when I had to do that.

Last edited:
damn bud thats not a bad idea... slow as hell i would imagine but cost effective. now tell me this if you could... do i fill my pan first to like minimum on dipstick THEN fill the oil galley and my oil cooler and oil hoses?? or do i try and prime the oil cooler and hoses first THEN oil pan?? not sure if i could fill the whole system including the oil pan from the remote oil filter or not?

Well, like I said, we started with 4qts. My son and I got smart-alecky about halfway through and put the other 6qts in the same way for the heck of it. IIRC, it took about 30-40min total for all 10qts. Just had to go back and add a pump of air pressure once in a while as the oil level went down. It doesnt take much air pressure to begin to push oil into the motor or through it. We just cleaned up our tools/mess to pass the time while the oil pumped in.

Id feed first, because you dont know how much oil you need to fill the various passages/coolers, etc. All you really need to do is unbolt whatever oil feed is the highest point on the motor (mine is the turbo oil feed) and when oil starts coming out that fitting, finish pressure-feeding what oil is left in the canister and then put the rest of the oil in the normal way.

attachment.php

Last edited:
my powerstrokes highest point is most likely the oil feed to the turbo too, which is on the top of it. if nobody else comes up with another genius plan i will definitely hafta go the same route you did:Cheer:

the way i told you took no time at all, but you do have to crank the engine.

Last edited:
the oil rails that go over the rockers and ****? i couldve sworn i read somewhere not to take the plugs out?? i have the bulletproof oil cooler system with the big air cooler and big fat hoses which hold an extra gallon or 2 which also needs to get filled. did u just fill the oil pan and start cranking the motor? that seems sketchy. i was going to take off the oil feed off the top of the turbo and start filling up the system till oil comes outta the turbo oil feed then tighten that connection up and finish filling the crankcase/oil pan. that way the whole system is loaded. but you said the oil system is dead headed? can anyone else chime in and let me know more about the situation?

the high pressure oil has no return flow, it stops at the oil rail. so i thought crank the engine where it first gets its oil, feed the mains, rods and cam, then onward the the rail, that way you are positive there is no air in system with those plugs out. less change of extended cranking when starting.

well im most likely going to do it while the cab is still off the frame. so im not sure about cranking it over, but do u think the way i planned on doing it will work?

im not sure. but don't worry about cranking it over, the pump moves enough oil, it wont take long

Back