Only getting fuel to number one injector

dvst8r

Unobtainium
I searched but didn't come up with much for the same issue.

I have a friend that transplanted a 1995 12v 160hp into a hot rod he is building. Went to do the first start today, cracked all the lines, and only #1 is getting fuel.

Pulled all the lines, so we could see it shoot straight out of the dv's and still only number one. This is a factory untouched pump even the afc still has the tamper proof rivet in it. Pulled the dv's and turned the engine over by hand, all of the plungers seemed to move there full amount, so I don't think it was a broken pump cam. When I primed the lift pump with the dv's out, all pump cylinders filled with diesel. Put it all back together and still the same issue.

Thought maybe the return valve spring was weak, so we tried the pen spring trick, but still the same result.

I am stumped, I am assuming it is something simple staring me in the face, or something broken internally in the pump, and it will need to visit a pump shop.

Anyone with any guess's?

Thanks.

Pump needs to go to a pump shop. Had one here that came in with a slight miss. Found 1 of the holders loose. When i tightened it up it stopped all fuel to the rest of the dv's. Called a pump shop and they said that something in the pump had moved and it needed to be taken apart and fixed.

could the rack wear out and cause something like he is describing? not rotating the other barrels while 1 gets some rotation? just thinking out loud

I think I had one do that a few years back, and I'm pretty sure we found the rack was stuck, but I really can't remember now. But I'd say it does need to go to the pump shop!

Chris

I'm going to try one more test, before we pull it and send it to the pump shop, I am going to swap number one dv to number 2, and see if the fuel follows the dv.

I doubt it will, as all of the dv's and holders and springs looked and moved fine, but I want to rule out that possibility.

If by chance it does follow it, I will grab a whole known set of dv's and holders out of another pump, and give it a shot.

At this point I am with everyone else it will probably need to make a visit to a pump shop.

I hadn't had a chance to make it over to the car to do anymore testing, but the owner of the car, pulled the return valve again looked it over and put it back in with the same pen spring, and viola all cylinders had fuel.

For whatever reason previously it just didn't seem to be seating right (the engine had sat for a year) and as such was just bypassing all the injectors, but number one... Seems weird that even one cylinder would get fuel with it bypassing, but it starts now and that is all that matters.

Back