Opinions on adjustable cam gears

DMDP

Quitter
Offset keys or an adjustable gear?

Our season was short lived due to a cast cam failure (I know:doh:) so I'm a little nerved up and worried about anything that could go wrong. Ive got an adjustable gear from Kenny's already, but have been told by a few people to get rid of it and use offset keys with my new cam before it fails and causes the same headache I'm going through now. Has anyone ever had an adjustable gear break loose on them?

Only failures I have seen are from improper torque and failure to use red loctite. Definitely weld the adjustable hub onto the cam.

Definitely gonna be welded no matter what gear I use, thanks Josh. Anyone else have an opinion?

I would just use the offset keys, that's what we used john

I think I recall of 2 of them that the gear themselves had failed. It was several years ago. It might have just been a bad batch?

Been using an SMT adjustable gear for 2 years on our 3.0 puller. Using a cam gear retainer with red loctite on retainer bolt and have had no issues.

adjustable gear not needed, find you centerline and be done with it.

Centerline is one thing, finding how the cam works with your combo is entirely different. And the difference between winning, or losing by 2 feet.
Dyno time(lots of it) while dialing in cam and injection timing can net huge benefits where you run the engine down the track.

Centerline is one thing, finding how the cam works with your combo is entirely different. And the difference between winning, or losing by 2 feet.
Dyno time(lots of it) while dialing in cam and injection timing can net huge benefits where you run the engine down the track.

If your cam designer knows what he's doing it saves alot of (dialing in)

Back