Opinions on cr twins

wfodiesel

I am wanting to twin an 05 cr. I was thinking 62 and 75. I'm not sure if 75 is right size with 62 but that's what I'm thinking. What are your thoughts on what to run with the 62? Also what size gate do I need if running the 75? Thanks for the input

I have been running an HE351 with bored out wastegate over S475/96/1.32, DDP 90 hp sticks, and Smarty SSR on my 05 for almost 75,000 miles with no issues (knock on wood.) It runs high 12's in the quarter with 35" mud tires and a full tank of fuel, and tows my dad's race car trailer around. Couldn't be happier with my setup, with minimal tuning and great reliability.

My only issues have been with my AirDog crapping out, twice now in a year. :bang Thank god I sent in that warranty paper!! :bow:

Ive been having issues with some air dogs as well. Seems like there new ones, within a year old I mean. I guess more info would help. Right now I'm rebuilding do to spun rod bearing. I'm installing 188/220 cam, 120 hp injectors, tuning with smarty, stg 3 bag of parts, light exhaust porting.

I wouldnt mess with a gate, a good matched set doesnt need it and it will be cheaper.
Stock (or modified stocker) over a S475 is a popular choice.
Might wanna mention tire size, gear ratio, if you plan on towing and how much, purpose of the truck, and what is a target hp number.
Forgive me if this is in you're sig, i cant see it from my phone.

Last edited:
It's a street truck no towing really. I'm wanting 700+. The truck has a 10 in lift on 40s so just street/off-road purposes really. As far as the gate goes I wasnt sure if fuel would be limiting factor to keep the 75 from over spooling!

700hp and 10 inch lift/40 inch tires seems like a lot could go wrong very quickly

I wouldnt mess with a gate, a good matched set doesnt need it and it will be cheaper.

The term "good matched set" would be relative in your inaccurate blanket statement. As in; larger and less responsive in an attempt to regulate drive pressure since there is no benefit of a wastegate, is that a good matched set in everyone's opinion? I think not.

700hp and 10 inch lift/40 inch tires seems like a lot could go wrong very quickly
Just some minor details that could be helpful..huh

The term "good matched set" would be relative in your inaccurate blanket statement. As in; larger and less responsive in an attempt to regulate drive pressure since there is no benefit of a wastegate, is that a good matched set in everyone's opinion? I think not.
Good response to the OP, very helpful.

As big as the truck is yes it could cause problems but I'm a firm believer in overbuilding for reliability no matter what the cost. I don't really like doing things twice.

As big as the truck is yes it could cause problems but I'm a firm believer in overbuilding for reliability no matter what the cost. I don't really like doing things twice.

The lift and tires are not a problem, getting the right turbos in there to spool is (if someone didnt know that info).
Do you know what elevation your at?

My first thought: You don't need twins to make 700hp with a CR. A good set of 100hp injectors, dual cp3's, single 66, and tuning with UDC software will get you there.
My second thought: 10" lift and 40" tires while making 700 horse....:umno:

With the tire/lift combo i'd def do twins, its gunna be sluggish, smokey, and hot without those gears being changed. I would do that first, that will set you back a chunk o change just for that. Besides it will be a completely different truck with a matched gear set.

Def going to throw some gears in it just haven't decided what exact ratio to go with.

I have a 2006 running a Garrett GT3782R single and thinking about swapping to a BW S362 FMW/.83 T3 over a S467 FMW/1.1 T4. I had thought about a GTX4202R over my 3782 but I don't have the ability to fab all the piping and I can buy a kit for the BW turbos. I plan on keeping fueling pretty conservative say BBi Stage 1s or not over 90 hp Exergy etc. so need to make sure whatever I go with spool extremely quickly. I tow my 10k fifth wheel and DD with this truck and no racing at all. Comments on this setup definitely welcome!

Back