Opinions on this truck

white93

I found a '91 fld120 with a 300hp L-10 cummins, 9spd, and 4.20? rears. Im just going to use it to haul my stuff around and probably gross 60-80k. What are the pros and cons of this engine, is it mechanical and can I get more power from it? It seems geared low too. The truck has a little under 500k and doesn't seem ragged out. Would this be up to the task?

Gonna be definite pig at 60K-80K! That 9spd isn't helping either. Can be turned up, but I would look for something else.

It would be used to haul farm equipment and hay. I figured it would be slow. I'm trying to find something with an n14 or big cam. Nothing against Cat or Detroit, I'm just familiar with Cummins. I found another truck and noticed it has the rear axles spread apart about a ft more than normal, what's up with that?

I think some straight trucks and heavy haul setups had the rear tandem spread apart. Called a canadian spread or something like that. Id just keep my eye out and find a truck with a real engine. I looked and looked all over for a cheap farm truck to do what your describing, then one day out of the blue found an old fld with a rebuilt 3406 and a 13speed fairly cheap. It does pretty good, but when you put a 60k lb draglind on the trailer it works it.

Spreading the axle changes the load capacity while on the road. It is due to something called the "bridge law". Some states use it and some do not. Nothing wrong with an L10 in itself but it is just a modernised version of the 8.3L which didn't have the best rep for longevity. With the wieght you are looking at I would either look into a bigger power plant or plan to swap transmissions. Gears will be your friend with that motor.

L10 shares next to nothing in common with an 8.3. The L10 became the M11 celect, celect plus then ISM. I would wait and hold out for a N14 you won't regret that choice

Back