Opinions on twins for 1000 hp DD

STROKETHISF350

Looking to get some insight on what I should run for twins on my truck, I just sold my stock/s475 set up and I'm looking to build something that will get me to 1000 or so but still be very friendly on the street when turned down . I don't want to run external gates and such and I don't ever plan on spraying it. The truck is mostly a street to and will see the track every now and then. Also I'd like to be able to tow, what's everyone's thoughts . I was wanting to run a 63/480 but not sure if I will be right on the edge of the compressor maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder how hot it would get I hear a lot about the 66/480 anyone have any experience with that

I had a silver billet over 480 with 150s dual pumps. This was back in 08 with bully dog and only did mid 8s. Never got hot and towed everything I hooked to it

I would say 63/480 and call it a day. I know a few guys that have run or have been running the 66/480 and seem to like the setup. Bust out your piggy bank and get a set of 5 blades from Stainless Diesel. Gordon is over 1000HP with their 63/480 kit. I'm sure you will change your mind just like your other thread but some info for you to digest.

I would say 63/480 and call it a day. I know a few guys that have run or have been running the 66/480 and seem to like the setup. Bust out your piggy bank and get a set of 5 blades from Stainless Diesel. Gordon is over 1000HP with their 63/480 kit. I'm sure you will change your mind just like your other thread but some info for you to digest.

Change my 'Mind in which thread....

And I'll probly do the 63 I was just curious if it could flow enough for 1000 or if I'd be pushing it to the limit

Maximum street manners when turned down would require the smallest possible turbo that will actually still hit the 1000 HP goal. In order to have both ends of the spectrum, you'll need to add a wastegate to the setup.

The only way I see keeping fast spool and not wastegating the system would be to spend more on a ball bearing turbo that can be sized a little smaller for the good street manners and has a strong enough thrust capacity to handle the 1000HP worth of exhaust flow you're going to push through it. That said, you'd still make more power with a wastegated housing or spool faster with the smaller AR housing you could be running if a wastegate was designed into the compound turbo system.

Maximum street manners when turned down would require the smallest possible turbo that will actually still hit the 1000 HP goal. In order to have both ends of the spectrum, you'll need to add a wastegate to the setup.

The only way I see keeping fast spool and not wastegating the system would be to spend more on a ball bearing turbo that can be sized a little smaller for the good street manners and has a strong enough thrust capacity to handle the 1000HP worth of exhaust flow you're going to push through it. That said, you'd still make more power with a wastegated housing or spool faster with the smaller AR housing you could be running if a wastegate was designed into the compound turbo system.

Thanks for the reply big blue. What wastegate would you reccomend

I've ran a couple different compound setups from 62/75 62/80 66/80 and now my current setup. The 66/80 was ran with 100% overs for awhile before I swapped to my current ones and the setup was awesome. Took some getting used to when changing from the superphat shaft 62 but did everything I wanted it too. Hauled a couple trucks with my gooseneck, drove it 80 miles a day to and from work and hit the track on the weekends. So the street manners imo were fine. i def recommend gating the setup regardless. you want your dp as close to 1:1 as you can get. I'm now setting up two external 45mm gates on my manifold and have a boost valve in my cab and use a Firestone airbag gauge ( has two arms, one for each bag, so it works perfectly for this application) as my overall boost/ DP gauge.

I bought a 480 with race cover and I think I'm going to try the 63 sxe turbo with the .80 t3 non gated housing. I bought a stainless diesel manifold so I'm going to have to figure out how to put at least one waste gate in it

I am running a 63/80mm on my 12v I dont think I am at 1000hp maybe 750+ if I dont keep blowing intercooler boots

I run a 66/80 and cant complain one bit! Havent really towed, but I daily drive it and I think its a great combo for anything. Spools great, good street manners and stayes nice a cool!!!

I run a 66/80 and cant complain one bit! Havent really towed, but I daily drive it and I think its a great combo for anything. Spools great, good street manners and stayes nice a cool!!!
is your 66 gated?

I bought a 480 with race cover and I think I'm going to try the 63 sxe turbo with the .80 t3 non gated housing. I bought a stainless diesel manifold so I'm going to have to figure out how to put at least one waste gate in it

What turbine size are you wanting to run with that sxe?

You can try one of the t3 spacer gate mounts or I just welded two gates (risers the gates clamp to)on a stainless manifold. I can send you pics if you would like to see what it looks like. I don't know how to post pics on here

Back